News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

March 1967 SCCA San Francisco edition of "The Wheel"

Started by BGlover67, May 03, 2020, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I posted this on Facebook, but thought everyone here might enjoy this also.  I recently picked up the March 1967 edition of the SCCA San Francisco's magazine "The Wheel".  In the classifieds section is an ad for a Shelby Factory team Race car for sale.  "Must Sell, Reasonable Now"

Turns out it was 5R001.  5R001 was invoiced to it's first private owner Robert "Ready" Davis of Castro Valley, CA who paid $4,680 on 4/15/66. Next, it was bought by Richard "Dick" Carter, sometime in '67. I wonder if this ad is how Dick found it?

Oh, if only I had a time machine....

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

69mach351w

Wow!!  That's crazy!!

Brian, not to hijack your thread but this reminds me of a time I read in a Mustang magazine (can't remember which one), back years ago maybe the issue was around early 90's.

A guy got so fed up with his Boss 429 not running right, overheating at red lights, etc, that he drove it straight to a Ford dealership in 1971 and traded it in on a brand new......Ready for this??   

A Pinto !!

Like you said, Oh if only I had a time machine ;D

TA Coupe

If only I had a time machine!!!!
Sometime around 1975 give or take a year or two, Dick offered me this car for $1800 with a spare engine and spare Wheels. He used to own a used car lot on East 14th in San Leandro California and he always had Mustangs in there for sale so one day I finally stopped in to see them. Dick came over and started talking to me because I had a Mustang the one in my signature but it didn't look like that at the time. He told me he used to race a Mustang and took me into his office to show me a bunch of pictures from his days of racing. I had no idea about the Mustang at that time but sure have kicked myself more than once over not buying it. I lived in an apartment so no place to put it either. The last time I saw Dick was at one of the Trans Am vintage races at Sears point. He died back in 2010. He told me he had started an Automotive Museum of race cars in the town that he had moved to and needed to sell some of them to pay off IRS debt. I intended to go down and see some of them but miss placed his card and found it several years later when it was probably too late to go down there and look at them.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

BGlover67

Wow, great stories guys.  It's just amazing what folks thought of old race cars after a few years. Who would have thought they would become the most collectable vehicles of all?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

csxsfm

Speaking of Dick Carter....It brings back memories.  By April, 1965 I had the racing "bug."  On a lark, my father and I decided to take a drive in our new Stingray to check out the SCCA races at Cotati.  Arriving late, we got there just in time to see the big bore production race in progress.  There, running ahead of the solid axle Corvettes and dicing with a fast Stingray was Dick Carter in his big white GT350 5019.  It looked huge, better suited for nearby US101 than a track with sports cars.  It ran with an odd attitude - hunkered down in the rear, nose high.  And the low, growling "blat-blat-blat" sound of the Shelby's exhaust had the melodic note of a "whoopi-cushion.  But it was fast, very fast.  Watching that race forever shattered my stereotype of what makes a sports car.  We drove the Corvette home in shock.  First the Cobra and now the GT350.  Shelby had turned the plebeian Mustang into yet another serious threat to our beloved Corvettes.  For those of us in Northern California, Dick Carter put the GT350 on the map.  Dick could drive.  And then there's his episode with Altamont, the Stones and Hells Angels.