News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby AC Drain Hose / Carpet

Started by Shelby_r_b, May 04, 2020, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

I saw some pictures online, and it dawned on me that I've never confirmed the correct installation / routing of 1967 factory AC drain hose located at the bottom of the evaporator box.

Can someone please confirm that the attached picture is correct (i.e., the drain hose goes through the carpet to the floor hole on the passenger side versus the carpet resting over / against the drain hose)?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

The Going Thing

I am adding factory A/C to my 67' 500. The example I took my measurements from were about in the exact same location and through the carpet.
I don't know if the carpet had been replaced in the example I used for location.

68blk500c

Your picture shows a flex hose.  I thought 67s used a rigid S hose C7ZZ-19858-C:

Shelby_r_b

My car still had the original drain hose on it (which disintegrated upon removal, otherwise, I would have taken a picture of it).  It had the oval Ford logo and part number. 

The hose was the flexible kind, and, to be honest, I can't see how the solid hose would work, given the need for one end to exit the floor and not take in any road debris. You would need something to block items from entering the hose at the bottom, but also allow for water to secret out.  The originals (and repops) have star-like slits towards the bottom for the aforementioned reasons.
Nothing beats a classic!

TOBKOB

I remember back in the day we would have to occasionally have to use a short piece of wire and clean out the drain otherwisw it would drain onto the carpet... ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbydoug

My '68 has the original hose and carpets in it. I would think it is similar to a 67 A/C set up.

The hose does go through the floor. I don't remember if it goes through the carpet?

I should. I just had it out last summer to pressure was the carpets and seats.

Do you want pictures of it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 05, 2020, 01:04:23 PM
My '68 has the original hose and carpets in it. I would think it is similar to a 67 A/C set up.

The hose does go through the floor. I don't remember if it goes through the carpet?

I should. I just had it out last summer to pressure was the carpets and seats.

Do you want pictures of it?

Yes, please!
Nothing beats a classic!

68blk500c

What does the 67 assembly manual show?  I know 68 uses the flex hose, which is a C8#, but have no experience with a 67; just have had the pictured NOS hose for a long time, which matches what the MPC says.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68blk500c on May 05, 2020, 02:17:03 PM
What does the 67 assembly manual show?  I know 68 uses the flex hose, which is a C8#, but have no experience with a 67; just have had the pictured NOS hose for a long time, which matches what the MPC says.
Illustrations show the flex hose with the screw down eyelet at the floor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Just went out and looked at the 67 Big Block GT I have.  Hole in roughly the location shown above.  No hole near the drain hole for a screw.  Whats blocking road debris going in? Either the toploader or the C6.

Shelby_r_b

Here are some pics of the setup inside and outside of #2666. Note the metal ring with the hold down screw Bob mentioned.

And, yes - I got lazy and used a zip tie to secure the top of the hose. It's supposed to have a snap ring holding it I place.

...now, if I could just confirm whether the hose goes through the carpet or under the carpet... 😉
Nothing beats a classic!

Rbwiii

The carpet would lay on top of the hose, there should be no hole in the carpet. There is a eyelete and a screw securing the hose to the floor board of the car.

J_Speegle

If it helps I looked through my pictures and could not find any ( unrestored cars) where the hose was visible or over the carpet
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Excellent!  Thanks to all, as I know this is a really specific question that only pertains to a limited number of 67s (that had AC).

And, I didn't want to cut the carpet until I knew for sure...once it's cut, there's no going back!
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

Judging by the pics that you posted, your set up is correct. the hose goes under the carpet.
Same as mine. No need to post more pics of the same thing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!