Author Topic: Brake kits and recommendations  (Read 1667 times)

DaveB330

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Brake kits and recommendations
« on: May 05, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
Thanks for all the input on wheels [prior post]. Having settled on Paradise repro's, I saw they have a 4" backspace, but Craig's website says they can be offset-customized as well. That got me thinking about brakes. So I have the original disc/drum setup on a GT500, which I plan to drive some, and I want the car to look true-to-original as much as possible.  So I am not in need of anything custom, but figure pre-purchase is the time to seek expert input. So, I would appreciate any thoughts/product recommendations on the brakes, and is there any compelling logic to consider varying the wheel dimensions from standard?   Thanks, as always.....

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brake kits and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »
the GT500 can look really good when the wheel come out a little bit more to the fender lips. I always would go that way if concours is not to important.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
Thanks for all the input on wheels [prior post]. Having settled on Paradise repro's, I saw they have a 4" backspace, but Craig's website says they can be offset-customized as well. That got me thinking about brakes. So I have the original disc/drum setup on a GT500, which I plan to drive some, and I want the car to look true-to-original as much as possible.  So I am not in need of anything custom, but figure pre-purchase is the time to seek expert input. So, I would appreciate any thoughts/product recommendations on the brakes, and is there any compelling logic to consider varying the wheel dimensions from standard?   Thanks, as always.....

My thoughts are that I can think of no good reason to mess with the offset.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
........... So I have the original disc/drum setup on a GT500, which I plan to drive some, and I want the car to look true-to-original as much as possible.  ....

I think you answered your own question
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
Without an anti-lock brake system, installing bigger front brakes will just cause them to lock up sooner and skid faster. 

I just bought a pair of brand new, Made in USA loaded calipers from Chockostang.  They are super nice and better than the used calipers that were rebuilt 15 times from the parts stores.  Came with all new hardware and banjo bolts for $160.  I would recommend getting a set of them if you need them. 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:04:26 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

HUBBELL RACING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
I installed BAER front disc on my 69 GT350. you can get them painted lots of different colors and they work very well.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
I installed BAER front disc on my 69 GT350. you can get them painted lots of different colors and they work very well.

which I plan to drive some, and I want the car to look true-to-original as much as possible.

But, I don't think those look very original... ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 12:09:41 AM »
It's not that easy to lock up front brakes on an FE car with a lot of rubber on the pavement.  It doesn't make them lock quicker, but it REALLY helps with brake fade and stopping distances.