News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT500 fastback roof emblem

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, May 06, 2020, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I need to know what emblem/s configuration is correct since I have seen many variations.  I have seen the Snake only; the Snake with a separate Cobra below the snake; the Snake with a separate Shelby below the snake; and a 1 piece Snake/Shelby emblem.  And is there a left hand and a right hand snake?

TOBKOB

Good morning, check out picture C-5 and it should answer your question. I have also seen different combinations but I chose to go with the snake only...I have seen several other period pics of the snake only both by owners and on dealer lots. My car had nothing when I purchased it.  It was 1 year old but since it was a hertz car I suppose someone took them for souvenirs.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17992.0

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on May 06, 2020, 10:44:45 AM
I need to know what emblem/s configuration is correct since I have seen many variations.  I have seen the Snake only; the Snake with a separate Cobra below the snake; the Snake with a separate Shelby below the snake; and a 1 piece Snake/Shelby emblem.  And is there a left hand and a right hand snake?
I already answered this in a PM but maybe if it will help another make a informed decision I will post my reply.The snake by itself is what I have typically seen as the only roof emblem . I have also seen the separate snake and separate Shelby to a much lessor degree. These were most typically meant to be dealer applied after pre delivery clean up which accounts for variation in usage and spacing. Initially they were applied at AO Smith but many were stolen on the way to the dealer so Shelby changed the process and include them with the car for the dealer to install. I personally think the snake only looks a lot less cluttered .The two piece emblem looks tacky IMHO. Probably what a lot of dealers thought too given the overwhelming amount of cars done with just the snake.The one piece snake/Shelby emblem was not meant to be used in that location . The contour of the surface would be a more of a problem for the single piece snake/Shelby emblem to sit flat on the surface.You would have to bend it. The two separate pieces you don't have to bend to sit flat on contoured surface. There is no left or right snake emblems. They face different ways depending on side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

richflorence

Interesting answers on this question. When my '69 GT-350 came in, both the snake and the Shelby emblems were already applied. Coincidently, as I type this, it was at this time 51 years ago today, I was finishing up the paperwork and getting ready to drive it home. I had been at the dealership all day long, and it finally came in on the truck, lower deck rear, at 4:30 p.m. I had ordered it in late February and the dealer held up the order pending a credit check, even though I was trading in a '67 390 GT Mustang and paying the difference in cash. Car was an April 14th build. It's still original and unrestored.
SAAC member since 1976.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: richflorence on May 06, 2020, 05:56:33 PM
Interesting answers on this question. When my '69 GT-350 came in, both the snake and the Shelby emblems were already applied. Coincidentally, as I type this, it was at this time 51 years ago today, I was finishing up the paperwork and getting ready to drive it home. I had been at the dealership all day long, and it finally came in on the truck, lower deck rear, at 4:30 p.m. I had ordered it in late February and the dealer held up the order pending a credit check, even though I was trading in a '67 390 GT Mustang and paying the difference in cash. Car was an April 14th build. It's still original and unrestored.
Glad to hear you still have the car. Not many can say that .It sounds like happy anniversary is in order too.Your story confirms one of the variations with both the the snake and separate Shelby emblem from the factory. It was not a isolated incident just apparently not as many done that way from other observations.  The factory photo (C5) in the other thread confirms just the snake applied was the other variation. Both ways were done which allows a restorer to do what they think is best in their eyes.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tor

Hello
A question about these emblems on the roof pillar was asked in The Shelby American issue 49 and 52.
In issue 52 there was a explanation why there was a difference. The question was asked by the original owner of 48-1961.
Cars that was a individual order had the extra emblem under the snake
Dealer ordered cars did not have those extra emblems under the snake.
This was confirmed by the general manager at the dealer ship where 48-1961 was sold. Koons Ford Falls church VA.
If this is the truth, i dont know but this was back then written in our magazine.

Tor
Norway

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Tor on May 10, 2020, 10:00:58 AM
Hello
A question about these emblems on the roof pillar was asked in The Shelby American issue 49 and 52.
In issue 52 there was a explanation why there was a difference. The question was asked by the original owner of 48-1961.
This was confirmed by the general manager at the dealer ship where 48-1961 was sold. Koons Ford Falls church VA.
If this is the truth, i dont know but this was back then written in our magazine.

Tor
Norway
So the answer still remains -they came both ways . ;)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 10, 2020, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: Tor on May 10, 2020, 10:00:58 AM
Hello

Tor
Norway
So the answer still remains -they came both ways . ;)
The weirdest one I had seen was#3052 June built Grabber blue DP  car I had. It had the GRILL EMBLEM mounted on the roof pillars. Now I doubt an owner would have taken the time to drill all 3 barrel clip holes in the roof. I also think AO Smith wouldn't have done it. so the dealer? Owner that painted the car black?  My history with the car was I found it in 1978 and the second owner owned it. It was sitting next to his barn for many years as he had purchased it around 73-74. So not original. I bought the car in 84 out of the newspaper after periodically trying to buy the car off of him over 6 years. got lucky.  many historical pictures of these cars show variations of the emblems like you said Bob. Have been "lively" discussions on this also on this forum. I would think my emblems on my vert were installed at AO Smith because I just don't think Claude DuBois wasn't exactly a Ford dealer and being in Brussels. Gary 
The car next to the V-code Gt500 is a W axle 4 speed SCJ R-code special paint car(Grabber orange). Notice that I was installing the goodies on these cars way back in the late 70s. Was blue when I bought it so kept it blue and while  pic was taken in summer of 84  the goodies were installed in 79-80. The second pic is the last batch of 70 Shelbys leaving KK in the spring of 1970. It appears no roof emblems on the car in the forefront. Is there software to enhance a picture like this? I'd love to be able to read the lettering on the tires.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

richflorence

Tor:

That would be me. Of the 4 cars on the truck when mine came in, only mine had the Shelby emblem under the snake. The other 3 didn't. Of the remaining 3, 2 of those were offloaded at Koons and were destined for Hertz at National Airport. I think the other one was headed to the Richmond, VA airport. The other 3 were all GT-350's in the Grabber colors.

And Bob is spot on. These things were all over the place with what was done.
SAAC member since 1976.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: richflorence on May 10, 2020, 12:02:41 PM
Tor:

That would be me. Of the 4 cars on the truck when mine came in, only mine had the Shelby emblem under the snake. The other 3 didn't. Of the remaining 3, 2 of those were offloaded at Koons and were destined for Hertz at National Airport. I think the other one was headed to the Richmond, VA airport. The other 3 were all GT-350's in the Grabber colors.

My car had both types on it 1970 by the vintage photo I have from the past owner in Belgium. Thanks for your invaluable insight on this. I was fortunate to talk to Larry Lawrance on Hood stripes which he painted on the 70s at KK while he was still alive and still living in Brighton Mi and having a body shop not far from the old Kar Kraft plant. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Tor

[Hello Richard, wow being at the dealer ship when the car arrives,that must be memorial moment in your live, take care
Tor
]
Tor:

[/quote]

shelbymann1970

Bill Cook's Dad's 1969 car. Notice the M-plate on it. both emblems. also notice no black paint on the end caps.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

2 cars from the same car show in Europe in `1969 .
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

for those who have not seen these pics before of Bill Cook going to an indy dealer with his dad and brother in 1969. 3 cars, 3 different configurations of the emblems. Notice the black wall tire GT500 FB has no emblems but the F-60-15 Gt500 later built car does. The Vert is owned by the OO  and has only the snake on the quarter and is a black wall car also. Tony Branda told me back in the early 80s he thought the emblems came later in the year. That was his opinion dealing with these cars in the 70-80s and many  would have been original cars. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/albums/72157609155163577
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

J_Speegle

69 #218 came with just a snake on each side. Owned it a short time back in the 80's with original paint and parts
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge