News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Starter wire routing

Started by Greg, May 06, 2020, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Can someone share a picture of the proper wire routing.  I have the original wire but not sure where the second bracket mounts to.

Thank you!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on May 06, 2020, 03:30:10 PM
Can someone share a picture of the proper wire routing.  I have the original wire but not sure where the second bracket mounts to.

Thank you!
When two are used one is bolted to one motor mount plate bolt and one to the other bolt. Under the head of the bolt typically.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Thanks Bob, that is what I thought but wanted to clarify.  I assume the fiber heat shield goes on the starter side of the mount? 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on May 06, 2020, 04:10:59 PM
Thanks Bob, that is what I thought but wanted to clarify.  I assume the fiber heat shield goes on the starter side of the mount?
The fiber heat insulating tube goes to the starter side. The bracket eyelet was typically given a squeeze with a tool (I use pliers) to tighten the grip the rubber grommet has on the wire as it pass's through . Not deformed would mean the assemblyline worker forgot. :o
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Here are some pictures to illustrate

Ignore the added ground wire some PO added

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Greg

EdwardGT350

was the bracket typically bent down towards the starter? were both brackets bent?
1966 GT350 6s1761

J_Speegle

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on May 06, 2020, 08:24:48 PM
was the bracket typically bent down towards the starter? were both brackets bent?

Might be slightly bent down but there is really not allot of space for this without putting pressure on the cable to engine mount.  See allot of guys bend them down when they restore cars thinking they are going to gain allot of clearance. Early in Mustang production the cables were routed along the passenger side shock tower but that didn't work put well for Ford 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge