News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 289 HiPo Waterpump

Started by Shawn, May 07, 2020, 03:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

What is the criteria for the water pump on a 66 Shelby?  Other than the casting number and correct paint what would determine an accurate part?  I have a few with casting and hub differences.  If the only thing being judged is paint and casting number would either be correct with no point deductions?

I have pictures in the 1966 Shelby section under "Water Pump"

Thank you -

Shawn

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shawn on May 07, 2020, 03:46:34 PM
What is the criteria for the water pump on a 66 Shelby?  Other than the casting number and correct paint what would determine an accurate part?  I have a few with casting and hub differences. If the only thing being judged is paint and casting number would either be correct with no point deductions?

I have pictures in the 1966 Shelby section under "Water Pump"

Thank you -

Shawn
The short answer is ,yes. Most likely two different OEM MFG's on the two different ones.Ford many time used multiple sources for parts.  FYI the casting number is only imperative in the premiere class. The concours class if wrong casting number would typically warrant a mention .A deduction would be if the casting was far off the mark like a aftermarket version etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

Bob,

Thank you for the explanation.   

J_Speegle

Like many details - if it is far enough off or noticeable enough to "catch an eye" of a judge then that is the basis for further possible discussion and determination based on the visible details seen. Hard to predict how far off from the expected would produce a deduction on the judging field without seeing the example
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shawn

I have the example pictures in the 66 area under "water pump".  I have seen both examples in the past on HiPo cars and restored pumps for sale.   

roddster

Let me rephrase this:  Are there any different cast-in numbers or letters, or, any other marks to determine the Hi-Po water pumps (and/or the one for A/C cars).

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on May 08, 2020, 10:04:39 AM
  Let me rephrase this:  Are there any different cast-in numbers or letters, or, any other marks to determine the Hi-Po water pumps (and/or the one for A/C cars).
No different outside characteristics (castings,numbers /letters etc.) that I am aware of . The only way I know how to identify one is by the visual ques of the impeller. No different one for A/C cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1 One casting number only BUT there is a C5OE and that casting was revised to be the C6OE and revised in '68 to be the C8OE casting. That was the last revision before changing to the driver's side inlet ( DOOE) casting.  A check of the MPC "could" ( I don't have in in front of me) list a different part number ( besides the K version) but ant '66-67 pump would be the same casting IMHO. I have owned pumps with all three casting numbers and 6 vane ( hipo) impellers ( yes new from Ford).
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.