News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Determining Value?

Started by mbitton, May 07, 2020, 07:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbitton

Greetings,

I am trying to learn how best to value a car we'd like to sell. It's a 1969 Shelby GT-500, one-owner, all-original, excellent (or good) condition. I understand an inspection/appraisal would be needed, just wondering where to begin. Hagarty's numbers are between ~ $98k and $116k. Plus 10% for the factory a/c, minus 20% for being an automatic. My main question is what impact does the one-owner have on value, and same question for the all-original / survivor status. Any advice you folks can provide will be greatly appricated!

Mike
Phoenix, AZ

Bill

Quote from: mbitton on May 07, 2020, 07:10:16 PM
Greetings,

I am trying to learn how best to value a car we'd like to sell. It's a 1969 Shelby GT-500, one-owner, all-original, excellent (or good) condition. I understand an inspection/appraisal would be needed, just wondering where to begin. Hagarty's numbers are between ~ $98k and $116k. Plus 10% for the factory a/c, minus 20% for being an automatic. My main question is what impact does the one-owner have on value, and same question for the all-original / survivor status. Any advice you folks can provide will be greatly appricated!

Mike
Phoenix, AZ

Originality will play a key roll
Quality and condition of the car, interior, exterior, undercarriage, mechanicals, etc
Mileage (documented?)
Original documentation

Just to name the basics. Forget about what you read on Hagerty's as they are not 100% accurate.

Also, watch out for the vultures, those that will contact you in public or private, offering to either help you sell, or offer you a lowball figure for "a quick cash sale". Take your time, investigate your options, and most of all, ask questions here as you have above.

Wish you the best of luck, when you are ready to sell, please be sure to read the rules of the classifieds here.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Rickmustang

Gulfstream aqua and white interior. The best color combination, IMHO. Good luck with sale. Think about BAT. Seems like a good venue to sell.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bigfoot

If the paint is original then you really have something there.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

Beautiful car, I'm guessing monetary gain isn't the most important thing as the car has been a one owner, cared for and loved car its entire life.  You should pick the next caretaker and be mindful of the vultures as Bill indicated.  There are people in the club that are very reputable and can help you value and sale the car but their services won't be for free and nor should they expected to be.  Stephen Becker, Vern Estes, Bill Collins and Bret Matteson come to my mind.  Take your time, don't take the negative things about the car personal and enjoy the process.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

shelbymann1970

Quote from: mbitton on May 07, 2020, 07:10:16 PM
Greetings,

Mike
Phoenix, AZ
So my question to make it clear is that you are the original owner, right? If indeed being the original owner and an original paint car add a lot to the right buyer. Back in mid 2000s on my friend's 2 owner 71 HEMI Challenger Being an original paint car added 45K to a 150K price when he sold it to a guy in Mn and it turned out the buyer flipped it right back to the Detroit area. Cool car you have there. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

mbitton

Thank you all for the great advice and information!  This car has about 45k original miles. Paint is original, interior, everything is original except for routing maintenance stuff (i.e. battery, brakes, etc.).  Garage kept since new, with exception of 1 year in the 80's.  It's been in the same family since bought new in Arizona in November of 1969. I was told that same immediate family equates still to "one-owner". Is that correct? We have allot of the original documents as well. 

Thank you again for your input. We will continue researching. 

Mike

mbitton

Quote from: Rickmustang on May 07, 2020, 07:42:15 PM
Gulfstream aqua and white interior. The best color combination, IMHO. Good luck with sale. Think about BAT. Seems like a good venue to sell.

Rick, what is BAT?

mbitton

Quote from: Bigfoot on May 07, 2020, 07:55:01 PM
If the paint is original then you really have something there.

Yes, paint is all original.  Interior, too.  Looks like new still!

mbitton

Quote from: Greg on May 07, 2020, 08:16:50 PM
Beautiful car, I'm guessing monetary gain isn't the most important thing as the car has been a one owner, cared for and loved car its entire life.  You should pick the next caretaker and be mindful of the vultures as Bill indicated.  There are people in the club that are very reputable and can help you value and sale the car but their services won't be for free and nor should they expected to be.  Stephen Becker, Vern Estes, Bill Collins and Bret Matteson come to my mind.  Take your time, don't take the negative things about the car personal and enjoy the process.

Greg thanks so much for your comments.  I totally agree and would neither ask for or expect anyone to provide free appraisal services.  My wife did have it appraised in 2015, but we want to have it done again most likely.  I will look up those names you provided. Thanks again.

mark p

Quote from: mbitton on May 07, 2020, 10:20:55 PM
Rick, what is BAT?

"Bring a Trailer" on-line auction place.
good luck, sounds like a great car  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Special Ed

automatic or 4 speed and options all make a difference on value and is car in registry?

mbitton

Quote from: Special Ed on May 07, 2020, 10:43:06 PM
automatic or 4 speed and options all make a difference on value and is car in registry?

Special Ed - no, the car isn't in the registry as far as I know.  It's an automatic. Factory a/c.  I've ordered an Elite Marti Report and waiting for that to arrive before I start to market the car.

69mach351w

Original paint, original owner. Perfect combination.

My wife's 69 Mach 1 has been in her Family since 1970. Her Dad Handed it down to her in 1980 in high school. At the 50th Mustang Celebration, they listed her as a 'Legacy' owner.

I'm almost certain that your Shelby still being in the Family is still considered Original Owner car.

I'm sure a potential buyer will see it that way.

Beautiful color combo and Welcome and Good Luck.