Author Topic: Silver 67 Gt350  (Read 7109 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Silver 67 Gt350
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »

Mine was originally Lime Gold as well....... now Raven Black. 

I have heard that Lime Gold was the most repainted / changed color of that time.

It was a trendy popular color when new - 25% +/- of the '67 Shelby's were Lime gold ! 

The color didn't weather well, looked bad quickly, and trends change. 

As Kenny Beers (RIP) was quoted saying in reply to someone's question about what was the most common color on '67 Shelby's "Red formerly Lime Gold". 

The car I had was repainted a Corvette dark blue when I got it, when I redid it I put it back to the original Dark Moss Green - took me a while to get use to it.
Thanks for giving me a smile . :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
My Shelby is the right color for me. I would never repaint it that ugly lime gold as long as I own it. It is an original color offered. Acapulco blue with white stripes with a stunning paint job. I have no use for trailer queens or hard nose purist.  I find them boring.

That is exactly what I did!!! Some colors!!! Now that same car is red!

I'm with you guys.  My car was Slime as well although when I first brought it home (1977) it was either a very, very dark metallic purple or a metallic black.  It also has ridiculous custom paint on the hood scoop (white with little squiggly things in the paint) and translucent teardrops on the side scoops and the back of the spoiler.  And to cap things off, '70 Torino snake decals on the front fenders.  First thing I did was to get out a rattle can of flat black primer and cover that mess up.  I drove it that way for about two or three years.  I swear I would have painted it the original color if it had been anything other than Slime.  Photo is circa winter 1979.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

From Jeff Francis:

When we restored the car we used paint code 1901 silver frost which was on both the Marti Report and the document from Ford provided by Dave Matthews the 1967 Shelby registrar, both attached. Sometime later contact was made http://bigbilllove.com/WHOO_Orlando_Florida.html which revealed an original photo of the car in its original color, gray. Kevin Marti was confronted and here’s his response: I believe I'm beginning to see where some confusion is coming from. The 1997 Shelby Registry contains the information that the paint code for the 1967 Shelbys painted Charcoal Gray as Ford paint code 1901 on page 1280. They correctly give it as Ford paint code C, which is a Thunderbird color, but when they supplied the Ford reference number of 1901, they made a mistake. It should be listed as 1900. As these were Shelby records that the 1967 Shelby reports were drawn from, this error has been perpetuated throughout subsequent writings by anyone out in the Shelby world. I would suggest contacting the Shelby Club about the error on any future matter about this issue.

If you want us to produce a report for you with the reference number listed as 1900, we would be glad to at no charge. Return the report you have (since it has the holographic anti-forgery sticker per your picture) to us and we will be glad to list that as 1900.

Thank you,

Kevin Marti
Marti Auto Works
www.martiauto.com
12007 W. Peoria Ave.
El Mirage, AZ 85335
(623)935-2558

Just two years ago I decided to refinish the car again so it would be perfect and fresh. A few of us Shelby enthusiasts discussed painting #1210 back its original color, but decided upon leaving it 1901 Silver Frost due to the following. For nearly a third of the car’s life it had been Silver Frost, during this time the car has won numerous awards while in my stable, spent time in Paris and Monaco, been featured in German and French magazines and TV programs, as well as a cool video on the streets of Monaco and at a yacht party for Prince Albert of Monaco  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEwheSbnhaI&t=13s  We unanimously voted to repaint the car in its current color, Silver Frost. The body and paint is perfect!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks for providing some background and details - can understand that it was liked and awarded some, it does look great in that color.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
Cool car.

I’ve had 3 Mustangs in Lime Gold or Lime Metallic (1970).
Not a Shelby tho.
I’m a big fan of it. Looks great .
People loved it in the 60’s and 70’s.
Some people don’t like it today because it’s “not popular.”
That’s ok.
Just remember that in life you should think for yourselves.
Don’t be sheep.
If you honestly don’t really like it aesthetically that ok.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 11:04:02 PM »
Wow great info there ,& my KR was lime green gold it was the one color i didn't want when i was looking ,but the price was right & it just grew on me & i ended up loving the color with a fresh paint job ,& got lots of complements on it,it's just such a vintage 60's color.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 11:09:20 PM »
I don't like it. It doesn't show well and it just doesn't have the eye appeal of other color choices.  It looks like a color you'd have seen on a low rider in So Ca.
That is a color that can be color sanded as smooth as glass and still looks horrible. Just like I wouldn't have God awful avocado kitchen appliances.
Just because something was popular in age of psychotropic drugs and hippies doesn't make it a good color.  I don't do sheep, I never have.
I was taught critical thought and logic, not what to think. 

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »
The Lime actually shows quite well in clear coat of the cars I've seen redone.

Most of the Ford metallics that were in the original acrylic enamel would lay down and die in three or four years from new and there was nothing that you could do to bring it back.

The strangest ones besides some of the "special paint cars" are the "grabber colors" but even there some of them can kinda' grow on you?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
When I bought my GT-350, I had full intentions on returning it back to its original lime gold.  I wasn't able to do the initial inspection on the west coast and had a trusted friend do it for me. After I made the verification and deal with the PO's agent, my friend commented to me that he thought after I got the car home, and cleaned it up (since it had been sitting for some time)  he thought I would get to like the raven black and probably not change it back.  He was right. The 3rd owner paid someone a lot of money to repaint it in raven. I was told he wanted it to match the interior ! The gaps, the lines are absolutely outstanding. After spending many hours on this car, I have yet to see any evidence of a color change. It was done very well. There is only one spot of steel to fiberglass mis-alignment, and hell I feel lucky there is only one.  Maybe some day ..... but not anytime soon.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »
My Shelby is the right color for me. I would never repaint it that ugly lime gold as long as I own it. It is an original color offered. Acapulco blue with white stripes with a stunning paint job. I have no use for trailer queens or hard nose purist.  I find them boring.
There was some misrepresentation with the vehicle. I just don't remember all the details.
We once had a discussion on SAAC forum 1.0 on color changes and Bill Collins gave an excellent informed opinion on color changing. I have owned 3 different Shelbys in my life. A very rare 70 Gt500 drag pack car I color changed to CA red in 1990. Had a new door sticker made up in 1990 by Kevin Marti. Now on grabber color Shelbys the color code was left blank and on FBs you had just a "5" on it. 2 decades pass and the car was then being passed off by a NC dealer toting it as a factory RED car. I told him it wasn't and he said that was my "opinion". When I stripped the car to the shell in 1985 it was grabber blue. I sold it as a color changed car. Now my 68 Shelby i went from HG to black with non factory red stripes. My car, my way. pissed off the purists but most loved the combo. My opinion I got MORE for it as black than I would have as a highland green. That was 2013. I loved looking at the car black and hated it as green. It gave me a lot of enjoyment just looking at the black car. My vert i kept it original in red but seriously in the 90s thought about color changing to black with custom made red side stripes but didn't when painted in 2000 during the full resto. Vert when bought was painted a non fact maroon color.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
Instead of getting angry about someone making a color change, I will unleash on the Morons who are powering their Mustangs (and Panteras) with Chevrolet engines.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »
Your black with red looks GREAT!  It's something different, eye-catching and cool, IMHO. 

Your car + your $$ = your rules. 

100% agreed with NEVER passing off a color change car as original.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:15 PM »
Instead of getting angry about someone making a color change, I will unleash on the Morons who are powering their Mustangs (and Panteras) with Chevrolet engines.

AACK!  I once saw a cheapo Cobra replica with a BB Chevy in it. 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »

AACK!  I once saw a cheapo Cobra replica with a BB Chevy in it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg;

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=ls+swapped+mustang

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 10:49:04 PM »
I too love my lime gold Shelby and get a tremendous amount of compliments on the color.  I really like that it is Not the same color as 90% of the cars on the road today. I too think it shows extremely well. I am sure in the day when they oxided they did not look great but that is pretty true with any of the colors.  In my opinion I have never seen a Shelby color I did not love. Brittney blue 67 is my absolute favorite though.
Corey