News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65-66 Proportioning Valve Rebuild

Started by s2ms, May 08, 2020, 12:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Thinking of taking another crack at rebuilding a proportioning valve. Tried this years ago on the valve currently in my 66 but was a miserable failure, probably due to undetected scoring in the bore, and had to have it re-sleeved. But I'm a glutton for punishment.

I know how to do the rebuild, my question is the best way to assemble everything for longer term storage? It will likely be awhile before I install it and assume assembling with brake fluid is not the best idea if it sits awhile? Is it OK to assemble with a light coat of WD-40, Boeshield, or similar? Or would that cause an issue mixing with brake fluid when I do install? Or...should I just bag the idea for now and wait to rebuild when I'm ready to install?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

NC TRACKRAT

Dave, I, too gave it a try and, like you, failed miserably.  At $150 a pop, White Post Restorations did my last two.  Don't know what, if anything, they coated the bores with but, if I were doing the job, I'd use a light coat of silicone brake fluid which could easily be flushed out if conventional DOT3 were to be used.  The silicone is basically inert and would have no affect on the metal or rubber seals.
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on May 08, 2020, 12:46:34 PM
Thinking of taking another crack at rebuilding a proportioning valve. Tried this years ago on the valve currently in my 66 but was a miserable failure, probably due to undetected scoring in the bore, and had to have it re-sleeved. But I'm a glutton for punishment.

I know how to do the rebuild, my question is the best way to assemble everything for longer term storage? It will likely be awhile before I install it and assume assembling with brake fluid is not the best idea if it sits awhile? Is it OK to assemble with a light coat of WD-40, Boeshield, or similar? Or would that cause an issue mixing with brake fluid when I do install? Or...should I just bag the idea for now and wait to rebuild when I'm ready to install?Just my suggestion.

Thanks,
Dave
I would rebuild it with whatever brake fluid (silicone or conventional) that you plan on using. I would not use boeshield or wd 40 as it may have have a negative effort when mixed with brake fluid. Not sure how long of storage but bag the valve and a year or 2 in the sealed bag should not be a issue. People use NOS valves in a box that are decades old without issues mostly. If you decide to wait I would put the rebuild kit in a bag so it doesn't degrade. Who knows if the parts will be readily available when you are ready to rebuild years from now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on May 08, 2020, 12:55:32 PM
Dave, I, too gave it a try and, like you, failed miserably.  At $150 a pop, White Post Restorations did my last two.  Don't know what, if anything, they coated the bores with but, if I were doing the job, I'd use a light coat of silicone brake fluid which could easily be flushed out if conventional DOT3 were to be used.  The silicone is basically inert and would have no affect on the metal or rubber seals.
You are correct on the properties but I do not agree on your advice about flushing the silicone out. If you use silicone you will have to disassemble again to properly clean and re assemble with dot 3 if wanting to use the Dot 3. Same goes if you assembled it with Dot 3 and want to run silicone. When the two interact the reaction is a tendency to gel up. You may be able to flush out enough and you may not. You have to ask yourself is it really worth the gamble of contaminating your entire brake system. Do one or the other and if you change your mind disassemble ,clean and re assemble with desired brake fluid . That is my advice . Use it or not.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on May 08, 2020, 12:55:32 PM

Thanks Stan. White Post also did the one currently in the car, which has worked flawlessly for at least 15 years. That one is a later service part, the one I'm thinking of rebuilding now is an OE valve with the correct machining and perfect date code.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 08, 2020, 01:01:08 PM
I would rebuild it with whatever brake fluid (silicone or conventional) that you plan on using. I would not use boeshield or wd 40 as it may have have a negative effort when mixed with brake fluid. Not sure how long of storage but bag the valve and a year or 2 in the sealed bag should not be a issue. People use NOS valves in a box that are decades old without issues mostly. If you decide to wait I would put the rebuild kit in a bag so it doesn't degrade. Who knows if the parts will be readily available when you are ready to rebuild years from now.

Thanks Bob, a year or 2 is about right. It'll take me that long to want to do the job badly enough since it's a bit of a PITA to do just for cosmetic reasons.
Dave - 6S1757

Bossbill

I never use brake fluid to assemble hydraulic parts. Here's why:
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on May 08, 2020, 03:50:09 PM

You can also ask the people who rebuild them and warrenty them if they fail use. FYI if you have a wheel cylinder ,proportioning valve etc built at white post they will not assemble them with silicone. I have to disassemble ,clean and reassemble with silicone which is what I suggest for limited driving pleasure driven cars. At least it reassembles much easier once it is has been rebuilt . What a pain. ::)

s2ms

Quote from: Bossbill on May 08, 2020, 03:50:09 PM

Thanks Bill, never even knew that stuff existed! Found one source that said the Centric fluid is "Compatible with all DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids".
Dave - 6S1757

OldGuy

Quote from: s2ms on May 08, 2020, 12:46:34 PM

I know how to do the rebuild, my question is the best way to assemble everything for longer term storage? It will likely be awhile before I install it and assume assembling with brake fluid is not the best idea if it sits awhile? Is it OK to assemble with a light coat of WD-40, Boeshield, or similar? Or would that cause an issue mixing with brake fluid when I do install? Or...should I just bag the idea for now and wait to rebuild when I'm ready to install?

Thanks,
Dave

The biggest problem of using a non-brake fluid (either DOT 3 or silicone) petroleum-based product (like the ones that you mentioned) is the incompatibility of the rubber parts, in the proportioning valve, with the assembly fluid. Petroleum-based products will cause swelling and degradation of the rubber and ultimately failure---which is not a good thing to happen on a brake-related component.

Frank

NC TRACKRAT

Understand your well-founded concern but, FWIW, I've switched a couple of systems over to silicone by thoroughly flushing and had no adverse effects. Just lucky I guess.
5S071, 6S1467

Bossbill

Quote from: s2ms on May 08, 2020, 06:19:00 PM

Thanks Bill, never even knew that stuff existed! Found one source that said the Centric fluid is "Compatible with all DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids".

Dave -- The stuff I have is from another vendor (Bendix?) but it's the same idea.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

KR Convertible

If the bore of the proportioning valve needs a sleeve, I use stainless.  Some people use brass because it's easier, but I prefer stainless.  With stainless you'll never have to worry about pitting in the bore again.  Assemble with your choice of fluid, cap the ports and store in a dry place.

gt350hr

McKay also has brake assembly lube . Smaller semi clear bottle. Works great . Orielly's , Autozone , should have it.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

s2ms

Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Have the valve apart and cleaned up, generally in very good shape. The bore is also pretty good but the minor scoring is a little too much so will likely have it re-sleeved.

Quote from: KR Convertible on May 11, 2020, 10:51:30 AM
If the bore of the proportioning valve needs a sleeve, I use stainless.  Some people use brass because it's easier, but I prefer stainless.  With stainless you'll never have to worry about pitting in the bore again.  Assemble with your choice of fluid, cap the ports and store in a dry place.

I assume brass would be resistant to pitting as well? I've read different opinions about using brass or stainless, Some say brass is less prone to leaking since it's "softer" allowing seals to seat better. Others say stainless is better because it's more durable. Other opinions?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

When in doubt sleeve. That is better then installing and have it leak right away or worse later. Messing up the paint with leaking conventional brake fluid is also something that would influence the decision to error on the side of caution IMHO.