Author Topic: Hood pin scruff plate scratch protection  (Read 3545 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hood pin scruff plate scratch protection
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
a reference (PR photo from early '67) of the orientation of the plate/rivets to the pin and clip...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 01:49:16 PM »
If you can see the 3rd picture, it is not touching the rivet.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
If you can see the 3rd picture, it is not touching the rivet.
Yes the nose of the pin does not reach the farthest most rivet but that is not the one that is at issue in this scenerio. Not trying to be arguementive on purpose but I suppose you appartenly hadn't thought about that in the process of inserting the click pin that the click pin has to pass over the rivet head which is opposete of the one you say is not touching in the picture. ;)  Because of this the click pin can come in contact with the revit head in this case depending on pin adjustment. If it dosn't come in contact then there would not need for the nylon washer given the rivet head is supstantially taller then the surface of the scuff plate. Just something to consider.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »
Yeah, the angle of the pin is easy enough to change, I did not even think of that, I just made sure it did not touch. Man all that stuff that has to be right to be correct....I would not want to do the concourse gig personally.....
RARE  Signature Delete

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
Yeah, the angle of the pin is easy enough to change, I did not even think of that, I just made sure it did not touch. Man all that stuff that has to be right to be correct....I would not want to do the concourse gig personally.....

Understood.  But, the research side of the concourse stuff is fascinating and extremely rewarding personally.
Nothing beats a classic!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
I agree, whatever one wants to do....

I am remembering again in my younger Shelby ownership....I was 22 years old, car number 1424, modified. Funnest car ever....I had it at my parents house in the garage. A garage door spring gave way and the top of the rear quarter was hit. It was ugly....but I was going back to school and did not have the money to fix it. I drove it!! It still offered me all the fun....Correct? NOT! I did not have a care in the world....but we are talking about hood pins today....something funny about that.

Wish I had that car today! I would sell my current GT350 that I have now in 2 seconds for it. One thing is for sure, we cannot get that time back!
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
In this instance the way SA did is not a concours issue but is one that is meant to help you maintain your car with the least amount of problems. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby