News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby GT350 Fastback

Started by ris, May 11, 2020, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ris

1968 Shelby Black 350 Fastback at Mecum, does anyone know the history of this car? What do you think it is worth?
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-415010/1968-shelby-gt350-fastback/

Bigfoot

Looks beautiful but automatics are low man on the Totem pole. The Black helps.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

8T03S1425

According to the listing, it's 1 of 21 in this color combination. I presume that's for GT350 only. Perhaps if you get the VIN we can provide some meaningful information.

I'm with Bigfoot. Add A/C to the mix and I think that's another plus.

What are you looking for? Concours correct show car? A car that you can make into a concours show car? A fun caffeine and octane driver?

Based on what you see, what are your feelings on value, or worth, of this car?
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bigfoot on May 11, 2020, 09:49:29 PM
Looks beautiful but automatics are low man on the Totem pole. The Black helps.
+1.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

KR Convertible

Could be a Hertz car with that configuration.

Royce Peterson

It's worth maybe $65K as an automatic, best case.

A four speed might go over $70K.

Good reference based on facts, not fantasy: http://www.thecoralsnake.com/guide
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

8T03S1425

I think that Bigfoot's and Pete's answers were the best answers to this OP's questions. I also liked Royce's citing of the Coralsnake web site, as the website provides a price range and a place where the OP could learn a thing or two about these cars and why one would have more value than another.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Royce Peterson

Let's say you sell that car at Mecum. If Mecum got $100K all - in hammer price, Mecum would collect the listing fee and a 10% buyers premium from you. Mecum would collect 15% sellers fee on the other end.

You would also be out transportation, lodging, and whatever it cost to get the car there.  If you wanted a reserve (I would!!!!) there is another fee for that. Just think what you could spend if it didn't sell.

I don't know about you guys but I would rather put it on eBay for $60 and then haggle with potential buyers either in front of the car or on the phone.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 12, 2020, 05:01:04 PM
Let's say you sell that car at Mecum. If Mecum got $100K all - in hammer price, Mecum would collect the listing fee and a 10% buyers premium from you. Mecum would collect 15% sellers fee on the other end.

You would also be out transportation, lodging, and whatever it cost to get the car there.  If you wanted a reserve (I would!!!!) there is another fee for that. Just think what you could spend if it didn't sell.

I don't know about you guys but I would rather put it on eBay for $60 and then haggle with potential buyers either in front of the car or on the phone.

Hey Royce - I think there is some confusion, regarding fees at Mecum (I have no vested interest, BTW ;))

Typical Mecum Fees:

- Listing Fee (depends on what auction, day and time of day that the car goes across) - $350 to $1,500
- *Seller Fees - 10% if the car has a reserve, 5% if it does not have a reserve
- *Buyer Fees - 10% if done in person, and 12% if done via phone / internet

*Both the seller and buyer fees could be negotiated on the block on reserve cars (this happens most times on the selling side, as Mecum is working to get the reserve off to ensure a sale).  Also, the "Bid Goes On" desk (if car does not meet the reserve) is a whole other deal.  Mecum will sometimes move on both ends to get the deal done.

Hope this helps!
Nothing beats a classic!

Royce Peterson

Right, I didn't read the agreement from front to back. But you illustrate my point very well - Mecum gets a pile of money from every car that crosses the block.

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 12, 2020, 06:37:04 PM

Hey Royce - I think there is some confusion, regarding fees at Mecum (I have no vested interest, BTW ;))

Typical Mecum Fees:

- Listing Fee (depends on what auction, day and time of day that the car goes across) - $350 to $1,500

*Both the seller and buyer fees could be negotiated on the block on reserve cars (this happens most times on the selling side, as Mecum is working to get the reserve off to ensure a sale).  Also, the "Bid Goes On" desk (if car does not meet the reserve) is a whole other deal.  Mecum will sometimes move on both ends to get the deal done.

Hope this helps!

Rukiddin

Yep,even the small/local auction has 15% buyers premium,AND 15%-20% sellers fee. That is for average ,non-auto type sale. Pretty good return on investment! Check your local auction results for toys,or guns.........pretty amazing.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 13, 2020, 09:44:41 AM
Right, I didn't read the agreement from front to back. But you illustrate my point very well - Mecum gets a pile of money from every car that crosses the block.

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 12, 2020, 06:37:04 PM

Typical Mecum Fees:

Hope this helps!

Agreed!  Mecum certainly doesn't do this work for free.    ;)

I will say, with a national auction such as Mecum, it is possible (again, no vested interest, just experience) to net more money (at times) for your car than through another venue. 

There was a certain "Shelby" that went through Mecum Kissimmee this past January (not mine) that went for ridiculous money (3 to 4 times what most thought).  Even the owner had said that he was told the car was worth 1/4 of what he netted.

Advertising coupled with a large venue of bidders can equate to more money...sometime not.
Nothing beats a classic!