News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Points, Condenser, Rotor for Dual Point Distributor - what to buy?

Started by JWH, May 11, 2020, 11:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

I am doing a tune-up on a '67 GT500 with the stock dual point distributor and looking for recommendations on  Ignition Points, Condenser and Rotor with emphasis on reliability vs. concourse correct as the car is driven regularly. It would be nice to pick up locally at a NAPA or other parts store but ordering for delivery works also. Thanks for any suggestions you have had good results with. (I don't want to go the Pertronix route at this time).
Jeff

Royce Peterson

Using Partsvoice.com I find 5 dealers who have the C9AZ-12171-A points in stock. The Motorcraft number is DP5.

Look here:
https://www.partsvoice.com/partsearch

The condenser is a very common DC6. Green Sales has 130 in stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exy53cCIGjI&feature=emb_title

Quote from: JWH on May 11, 2020, 11:26:16 PM
I am doing a tune-up on a '67 GT500 with the stock dual point distributor and looking for recommendations on  Ignition Points, Condenser and Rotor with emphasis on reliability vs. concourse correct as the car is driven regularly. It would be nice to pick up locally at a NAPA or other parts store but ordering for delivery works also. Thanks for any suggestions you have had good results with. (I don't want to go the Pertronix route at this time).
Jeff
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

KR Convertible

Napa sells Echlin ignition parts.  Good quality replacement parts.  Avoid Autozone/Advance Chinese crap.

Bill Collins

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 12, 2020, 10:12:27 AM
Using Partsvoice.com I find 5 dealers who have the C9AZ-12171-A points in stock. The Motorcraft number is DP5.

The Autolite / Motorcraft number for High Performance dual point applications is DP6. The DP5 is for a six cylinder, although it will physically interchange.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

s2ms

Quote from: Bill Collins on May 12, 2020, 10:59:45 AM
The Autolite / Motorcraft number for High Performance dual point applications is DP6. The DP5 is for a six cylinder, although it will physically interchange.

+1 on NAPA parts, excellent quality, used them for years. Cap looks very similar to OE.
- Cap: FA-79
- Rotor: FA-157

The Autolite/Motorcraft DP5 are actually for dual point w/ vacuum advance like Boss 302 and 429, will fit and work but have slightly lower spring tension than DP6. The 6-cylinder points are DP3 and are a reversed orientation to DP6 and DP5 so I don't believe they will fit, avoid those.
Dave - 6S1757

Royce Peterson

67 GT350

What to buy, Petronix. (period)

Imagine a time, adventure, a SAAC event, a trip, a 500 mile trip, a destination that you will never make. You have put into danger, you, possibly another person, you broke down on a long twisty road with no cell service. What happened? Your points are shot, something went wrong with the condenser.....WHAT THE H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS DO YOU DO NOW?????????????????

Welcome to the "Break down on the way to an event zone" where your fun trip just went into a spin, and I am not talking on some track....
RARE  Signature Delete

Royce Peterson

In the years before cell phones and Pertronics I would have got out my screwdriver from my tool box, pulled the distributor cap, and adjusted the points by eye. Today, same thing.

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 12, 2020, 12:54:46 PM

Imagine a time, adventure, a SAAC event, a trip, a 500 mile trip, a destination that you will never make. You have put into danger, you, possibly another person, you broke down on a long twisty road with no cell service. What happened? Your points are shot, something went wrong with the condenser.....WHAT THE H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS DO YOU DO NOW?????????????????

Welcome to the "Break down on the way to an event zone" where your fun trip just went into a spin, and I am not talking on some track....

67 GT350

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 12, 2020, 12:56:55 PM
In the years before cell phones and Pertronics I would have got out my screwdriver from my tool box, pulled the distributor cap, and adjusted the points by eye. Today, same thing.

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 12, 2020, 12:54:46 PM

Me too, but what if? I would put Petronix in everything today, this is 2020?

RARE  Signature Delete

KR Convertible

Pertronics fail too.  At least with points you have a chance of fixing it.   ;)

67 GT350

I never had one fail, (Petronix), but I have had to fix points/replace condenser on the road a few times, I guess when I hit my 40's I thought, I love my life and if the odds are less or having something go wrong, I prefer that....LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR Convertible on May 12, 2020, 01:45:47 PM
Pertronics fail too.  At least with points you have a chance of fixing it.   ;)
+1. Many enthusiast's have a point plate with the points set up to keep in the glove box just in case the PerTronix fail . I don't know how many time I have heard stories of them failing. Most of time is because they are not installed correctly IMHO. It is arguable which is more reliable given the millions of cars that used points with no notable problems.I think the PerTronix is a good product which has its positive and negative aspects but it definitely has a place in the car world.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

JWH,
       If you insist on NOS , I can supply them. PM if you are interested , quantities are VERY limited.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JWH

I went with the Echlin parts from NAPA today. I am posting part #s in the event someone does a search....like me....next time I tune up.   Thanks to S2MS and all who PM'd me and provided suggestions and part numbers. The car starts with the bump of a key and runs very strong.

NAPA Part #s For Dual Point Distributor Tune-Up
Distributor Cap         ECH FA79
Points (Contact Set)  ECH CS756
Condenser                ECH FA66
Rotor                       ECH FA157

Cobrask8

Just an additional source, when I worked in a garage wayyyyy back, we uses Standard Ignition parts. They had a regular line and a Blue Streak line that were supposed to be better quality. I remember them being quality stuff, heavy duty, lasted. Don't ask me for the part number. I gave all the stuff I still had to Bill Collins.

But, I also became a convert to under-cap conversions, as I then gave me the chance to upgrade the rest of the ignition om my 428 SCJ. We all know those engines love a healthy spark to really run good.  I doubt there is one person here who absolutely LOVES changing spark plugs on a 428 Mustang. The system I put together looked completely stock, fooled many, but was a high-power system, never killed a plug again, started better, ran better. I used a MSD Blaster coil, painted it black, put on Ford decal. Solid black Jacobs 8mm wires, used stock boots. Under-cap conversion, and encased the two wires in black shrink wrap, and split them out under the air cleaner. I even went further to get a standard single-point distributor, remove the vac advance, so the conversion module was in the correct place. From the outside to the non-trained eye, looked correct.  Never had to pull a @#&^)*&#^)&#$#@(^#^ Spark plug again.

Just an additional opinion.

(PS - I did carry a spare set of points and condenser just in case.......)