Author Topic: Guy in c8 gets kicked out of SAAC? Event?  (Read 4327 times)

Dkutz

• View Profile
Guy in c8 gets kicked out of SAAC? Event?
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:15:38 AM »
Watch this guys YouTube channel to see his gt500 stuff.  But he recently got a new C8 vette.  Took it out to willow,springs and got kicked off the track because it was a all Ford event.  Was it a local SAAC event?  Some good footage on track before he got booted.  I think pretty lame they kicked him off since they checked him through tech.  And sold him the track time.  But. 

https://youtu.be/qhF0CRmbjwU

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: Guy in c8 gets kicked out of SAAC? Event?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
I didn’t watch the video yet but I can tell you that nobody would get kicked off track at a SAAC National event for driving the wrong brand.
In fact,.... one of my racing buddies towed about 700 miles to join us at SAAC  Road America about 6 years ago and was driving a Pontiac.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »
Watched the video, have some thoughts.

first off, he's not the greatest driver. Missed many of the apexes and proper line. Ignored proper speed in the pit road. That is a no-no. So, he did call attention to himself. I am a 15+ Year instructor, his in-car video showed his driving was sub-par. As well, was the car properly credentialed? The blue sticker discussed means the vehicle has passed tech, and is cleared to run. No sticker is another big No-no.

Many, many years ago at SAAC Conventions, we had full run groups, with a waiting list, and did enforce the Ford-Only rule. It was a SAAC event, so that did happen. In today's world, we no longer get the full groups, and now allow other cars on track to fill out the groups and cover costs. But, did the event postings, paperwork, et al specifically say Ford or Shelby only? I do not know. Implied? Maybe. So, his being asked to park the Vette is unclear from the posted video's footage.

BTW - Was that Lynn Park as part of the officials?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:11:59 AM by Cobrask8 »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
1)First off, he's not the greatest driver. Missed many of the apexes and proper line. Ignored proper speed in the pit road. That is a no-no. So, he did call attention to himself. I am a 15+ Year instructor, his in-car video showed his driving was sub-par.

As well, was the car properly credentialed? The blue sticker discussed means the vehicle has passed tech, and is cleared to run. No sticker is another big No-no.

I would be pulled out immediately, I am a terrible driver.

Did have the sticker

2) Many, many years ago at SAAC Conventions, we had full run groups, with a waiting list, and did enforce the Ford-Only rule. It was a SAAC event, so that did happen.

Agreed if it is an event for certain vehicles,  one should respect that.

3) in today's world, we no longer get the full groups, and now allow other cars on track to fill out the groups and cover costs.

Agreed

4) But, did the event postings, paperwork, et al specifically say Ford or Shelby only? I do not know. Implied? Maybe. So, his being asked to park the Vette is unclear from the posted video's footage.

True but see attached that was in the video

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:29:41 AM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »
The guy in the 66 wasn’t too great either, there is a shot of him getting squirrelly and almost losing it.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »
    This was the bi annual Cobra Owners Club Of America event. The event is normally limited to Ford or Ford powered vehicles. The event has nothing to do with SAAC. For this person to be asked to leave , something was wrong with his driving or driver courtesy.  The person in charge is non other than "Mr. Cobra" and he is very "easy going". Obviously he allowed the entry and I'm sure was interested in seeing one "on the track". As I said before if asked to leave the driver was not respecting the rules given BEFORE money was accepted and permission to participate given. It was certainly NOT because it was a Corvette or he would have been turned away instantly. "His " entry did NOT affect the profitability of the event . His lack of respect for the rules could have RUINED the event for everyone else . Many of which are twenty + year veterans of this event. Jackasses will be "put out to pasture" for the sake of the herd.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:39:10 PM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
Chalk this up to fake news... ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »
We always say : three sides to a story

Key takeaways:

1) This was the bi annual Cobra Owners Club Of America event. The event is normally limited to Ford or Ford powered vehicles

2) For this person to be asked to leave , something was wrong with his driving or driver courtesy. 

3) The person in charge is non other than "Mr. Cobra" and he is very "easy going". Obviously he allowed the entry and I'm sure was interested in seeing one "on the track".

4) As I said before if asked to leave the driver was not respecting the rules given BEFORE money was accepted and permission to participate

5) His lack of respect for the rules could have RUINED the event for everyone else . Many of which are twenty + year veterans of this event. Jackasses will be "put out to pasture" for the sake of the herd.

So essentially he and his 2020 trophies where told to exit.

Muy bueno!

This was the bi annual Cobra Owners Club Of America event. The event is normally limited to Ford or Ford powered vehicles. The event has nothing to do with SAAC. For this person to be asked to leave , something was wrong with his driving or driver courtesy.  The person in charge is non other than "Mr. Cobra" and he is very "easy going". Obviously he allowed the entry and I'm sure was interested in seeing one "on the track". As I said before if asked to leave the driver was not respecting the rules given BEFORE money was accepted and permission to participate given. It was certainly NOT because it was a Corvette or he would have been turned away instantly. "His " entry did NOT affect the profitability of the event . His lack of respect for the rules could have RUINED the event for everyone else . Many of which are twenty + year veterans of this event. Jackasses will be "put out to pasture" for the sake of the herd.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »

100%, Randy.  I've been attending that event off and on since 1982, when I bought my KR.  Like you, I know the organizers very well.  They are great guys, and very interested in high performance cars in general. I have seen other Brand X cars in the mix from time to time.  But, yes, it is at the discretion of the organizers (and is a courtesy) to allow anyone into the club event. You basically have to be in the club, or be a friend of a friend to even know about this event. It is not advertised and is not considered "open to everyone."

I've seen people with brand new cars, and with zero previous track experience, be given warm greetings and tutoring by the organizers. Frankly, I've never been a part of a club that treats newcomers and Brand X drivers so courteously.

Their rules are simple and require using common sense. If you follow them, you will have a good time and be welcomed back.
If you don't, you're out. Makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:12:21 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
   The CAR was NOT banned , The DRIVER was asked to take his 2020 trophies and leave after demonstrating his driving prowess..
    Plain and simple. The DRIVER posted it was the CAR which was approved for track use until the DRIVER took it out on the track and earned a black flag.
    It wouldn't have mattered if it was  GT40 or Ferrari being driven.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 01:26:42 PM »
Loud and clear boss +1

The CAR was NOT banned , The DRIVER was asked to take his 2020 trophies and leave after demonstrating his driving prowess..
    Plain and simple. The DRIVER posted it was the CAR which was approved for track use until the DRIVER took it out on the track and earned a black flag.
    It wouldn't have mattered if it was  GT40 or Ferrari being driven.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
I'd vote he was passing other than on the front/back straight. The Los Angeles Cobra Club (the original COCOA from the 60s) event has always been man and machine against the track/clock. Firm instructions are given on track manners. I don't have my invite from last weekends event but if I recall correctly for the past many years (I started going in the late 70s or early 80s) it states Ford or Ford powered vehicles only. So a Ford with an LS would be legal and a Miata with a Ford motor is legal. A Chevy with an LS would not be legal. BTW full driving suit is a little overkill for the event when driving street cars. Helmet and fire extinguisher are only requirements along with 2 throttle return springs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:30:10 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
None of this is new. Only recently we have started to allow non Fords in SAAC events just to spread the cost when needed. This is not an "open track event". There are plenty of those. And although there are lots of new Shelbys at events now, there is always a concern that some Yahoo will dive bomb pass an original Cobra and destroy it then collect the insurance money and replace his new car, where the owner of the original car has lost something irreplaceable.

I think that our track events should be restricted to cars that have a manual clutch, but that's just me.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 06:22:59 PM »
https://cocoaoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/WSFlyerMay2020.pdf

I attended this event on Saturday.  Seems to me this guy is a self-important social media influencer who seeks sympathy from his followers.  The attached flyer clearly states Ford-powered.  This is fake news if I have ever heard it. 

I caution those posters who so quickly reacted to this poor boys dilemma without knowing the whole story.......... and then try to make it an instructional event.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:56:42 PM by TA22 (Gary Goeringer) »

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
None of this is new. Only recently we have started to allow non Fords in SAAC events just to spread the cost when needed. This is not an "open track event". There are plenty of those. And although there are lots of new Shelbys at events now, there is always a concern that some Yahoo will dive bomb pass an original Cobra and destroy it then collect the insurance money and replace his new car, where the owner of the original car has lost something irreplaceable.

I think that our track events should be restricted to cars that have a manual clutch, but that's just me.

+1 on the clutch.
 And I've always felt the "original" Shelby's should run as a group and the newer renditions in another group.