News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

2004 Cobra Concept Car Jay Leno's Garage

Started by propayne, May 15, 2020, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Side-Oilers

Thanks for posting.

I'm not a regular viewer of Jay's show, so explain to me why when you have Jay and Chris Theodore in the same room with this car, you would need some "appraiser" to try and put a price on it?  When the appraiser said "The replacement value comparable I put on this car today..." that sounded absurd.

This car is literally one-of-a-kind!  It's a Ford special project with CS involved. It's a widely-publicized and documented auto show car. It has a one-of-a-kind V-10 engine.  Theodore was Ford's VP of Advanced Vehicles at the time and has his touch all over it.  The car has a great story behind every inch of it.  What else do you want, mister appraiser?  There is NO WAY to reproduce it.

IMO: Leave the show to Jay, the cars, the history, and the owners. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Mr Donald Osborne,  I love that guy !

If it can titled for the street ( JL can do it) the last Cobra would sell between 5 to 10 million dollars
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

Tony,
My point is simply that on a car like this, it's absurd to estimate what "its replacement value" is.

Market value...okay. But replacement value is not apropos. 

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

BGlover67

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 15, 2020, 10:26:08 PM
Tony,
My point is simply that on a car like this, it's absurd to estimate what "its replacement value" is.

Market value...okay. But replacement value is not apropos.

+1 

Really interesting design.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Don Johnston

When the car was developed, did not find it that interesting.  It was designed under the leadership of Jay Mays, who had been brought over from Ford Europe Division.  Jay was previously with Audi and led the design of the Audi TT.  I noticed the design influence of TT in the shape of the concept Cobra.  The development of the V-10 was more interesting, however.    I never did see the Cobra concept in person so I might have liked it better, if I had.

I lost any interest in  the Cobra concept when the GR-1 concept came out.  I did get up close and personal with one of the exhibit models when I assisted staging it at a local Motor Trend Auto Show.  8)