News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 Conv. "Continuation"

Started by CSX 4133, May 16, 2020, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mach351w

Quote from: CSX 4133 on May 17, 2020, 06:31:11 AM

The vehicle description from this past sale for a similar model is typical sale hype, with a small amount of truth.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/156/
No matter what, seems they are still selling for big bucks.

trotrof1

(It is what it is), Thats the phrase our district rep conveyed to some of the new car owners. Despite a gallant effort by the technicians, they couldnt polish their entry level car into a caddy.  Interesting that the SFM tag, arguably the most important piece, isnt stamped like a 66 but then I have yet to see anyone pull that off.

Grumpy

"The 289ci V8 is one of 12 new-old-stock engines reportedly sourced by Carroll Shelby from Ford during the continuation project."

Why the hell would you bore a NEW engine .040" over  :o

Quote from: 69mach351w on May 17, 2020, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: CSX 4133 on May 17, 2020, 06:31:11 AM

The vehicle description from this past sale for a similar model is typical sale hype, with a small amount of truth.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/156/
No matter what, seems they are still selling for big bucks.

:o No Kidding.

68gtcoupe

I remember seeing the story of these cars (Hot Rod Magazine, IIRC) back when the decision was made on doing this project.  As I remember, they were sold for like $40k, which was A LOT of money back then. I wasn't aware they were hack jobs of that magnitude.  Sad. 

silverton_ford

I have this sales brochure for the continuation convertibles.  Fun piece to read.

mark p

Quote from: Grumpy on May 17, 2020, 09:59:16 AM
"The 289ci V8 is one of 12 new-old-stock engines reportedly sourced by Carroll Shelby from Ford during the continuation project."

Why the hell would you bore a NEW engine .040" over  :o

did it say 11k miles... maybe of "ridden hard and put away wet"? :o ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

BGlover67

Quote from: Tired Sheep on May 16, 2020, 05:18:40 PM
In the same warehouse with those unfinished CSX chassis's no doubt.

Are you saying CS had a tendency to stretch the truth??? :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

papa scoops

I saw this car around 10 years ago, was for sale at 125000. it was on it's 2nd re-restoration. it started as a pile of rusted out pile of junk ,restored by bh mustang (terrible job, re restored, still bad, then at least one more time, it did look sharp from a distance, but you could have built yout own from a better doner car. I understand this was the only s/c car of that batch. fwiw phred

Don Johnston

The son of the second owner of my 66 GT350 worked at Beverly Hills Mustang on a couple of the cars and was amazed how so much work was rushed and poorly done, especially when considering the $40,000 list price at the time. Some were given more attention to assembly detail than others. He didn't recall which cars he worked on as the tag numbers and other particulars were not of importance to him back then.  8) 

98SVT - was 06GT

Please note title is in transit – Following the sale, this vehicle will be shipped back to Gardena California where it is scheduled to be inspected by the CHP on June 16th, 2018. Following its inspection, the DMV will produce a title in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. All additional shipping and storage costs resulting from the car's transfer to California will be paid for by the seller.

It would be interesting to see what CHP did .... they see a Ford Mustang. I wonder why it wasn't currently titled. It should at least have an MSO with it. I would be funny if CHP pulled the tag and found a stolen Mustang underneath. I wonder if Howard has the original VINs.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 17, 2020, 03:46:51 PM
Please note title is in transit – Following the sale, this vehicle will be shipped back to Gardena California where it is scheduled to be inspected by the CHP on June 16th, 2018. Following its inspection, the DMV will produce a title in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. All additional shipping and storage costs resulting from the car's transfer to California will be paid for by the seller.

It would be interesting to see what CHP did .... they see a Ford Mustang. I wonder why it wasn't currently titled. It should at least have an MSO with it. I would be funny if CHP pulled the tag and found a stolen Mustang underneath. I wonder if Howard has the original VINs.
Howard does have all of the Ford VINs for the continuation converts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Wow!! I didn't realize these were $40K and built between 1980 and 1982. That's around $134K in today's money.

Well, that's what cheap Elenor clones go for these days. Most sell for well north of 6 figures. Sad, IMO.
Nothing beats a classic!