News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT350 Leaf springs

Started by acman63, May 16, 2020, 01:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

was sent a pair of leaf springs to detail.   the have square hole clamps holding them together - look like they have never been apart. Ive never seen any real ones except round hold clamps . Im posting a pic of the stamped number on the small leaf.  does anyone else have original 67 springs  with square hole clamps?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

DRGT350

KR500

Jim
I have seen square holed ones on 65-70 cars, although the round holes I find are the most predominate ones on he 65-67 years. I have a set of springs from a 66 car in my shop now, one has round hole bands the other has square holes.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Rbwiii

Quote from: KR500 on May 16, 2020, 05:48:40 PM
Jim
I have seen square holed ones on 65-70 cars, although the round holes I find are the most predominate ones on he 65-67 years. I have a set of springs from a 66 car in my shop now, one has round hole bands the other has square holes.
Rodney

+1 I'm using these springs on a roller chassis. They have square hole clamps.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on May 16, 2020, 01:56:07 PM
was sent a pair of leaf springs to detail.  The have square hole clamps holding them together - look like they have never been apart. Ive never seen any real ones except round hold clamps . Im posting a pic of the stamped number on the small leaf.  does anyone else have original 67 springs  with square hole clamps?
I have seen the square hole in use on 67 before but the round hole is on the vast majority that I have studied. I figured it was a supplier thing.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Jim if you notice that your examples is stamps length wise rather than across as most -AM and-AR that were supplied to San Jose were that is likely the clue as to why the different clamps. Some of the others offered in the thread so far are examples typically found on eastern supplied sources to the factory based on what I've collected as far as data points.

You can find different clamps at the same plant and year, just different application/numbering so they have to be looked at independently IMHO
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Here are a couple more examples off early '67's, to Jeff's point note the orientation of the stampings - across, not in-line - and the '66 date codes...

The one set is the 252 day of 1966 the other is the 327th day of 1966
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The raised stamping pad in the third picture is interesting

JD

^^ sorry, that is a marker circle that was done by the owner to call-out the date code not a raised area.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: JD on May 19, 2020, 11:46:31 AM
^^ sorry, that is a marker circle that was done by the owner to call-out the date code not a raised area.

Obstacle illusion.  ;D

bhoulis

#1512 Square. Mar 22 Ford build.

Brian

Bossbill

What is the Ford build date of the car onto which these springs go?
I would suspect spring Julian dates to be close (1-2 mo prior?) to the Ford build date.

Here is what my 67's spring code looks like and it has the round square hole clamps.

It would be interesting to make a Jeff S. style chart and see what the trend was on the clamps.

On edit => it took many  hours, but I finally found the original clamps. Strike two on this post since not only did I grab the wrong color paint for the leaf spring, but the hole is actually square.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on May 22, 2020, 08:05:14 PM
What is the Ford build date of the car onto which these springs go?
I would suspect spring Julian dates to be close (1-2 mo prior?) to the Ford build date.

Here is what my 67's spring code looks like and it has the round end clamps.

It would be interesting to make a Jeff S. style chart and see what the trend was on the clamps.
Feb 09 1967 is what the Julian date code stands for. FYI the AR  leaf spring would have a orange ID paint mark and not a yellow one. at least yellow is what it looks like on my monitor.round is most typical the square style I have seen but rarely on the SJ cars in 67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby