Author Topic: Rear axle fill plug finish, brake shoe color codes, drum finish  (Read 2111 times)

430dragpack

• View Profile
Assembling a ‘65 HIPO rear axle and am wondering if the fill plug was painted black or bare steel?  Couldn’t tell on the original one. Also, is there any color codes on the edges of the brake shoes?  Have seen them on 69-70 Mustang rear shoes. A picture would be great.  Were the brake drums all natural finish or have black out with certain wheels? This is not a Shelby rear axle assembly, but a standard ‘65 fastback K-code.
Thanks!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear axle fill plug finish, brake shoe color codes, drum finish
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:03:02 PM »
Fill plug would have been installed when the housing was painted, so black.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:58:48 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:21:46 AM »
Assembling a ‘65 HIPO rear axle and am wondering if the fill plug was painted black or bare steel?  Couldn’t tell on the original one. Also, is there any color codes on the edges of the brake shoes?  Have seen them on 69-70 Mustang rear shoes. A picture would be great.  Were the brake drums all natural finish or have black out with certain wheels? This is not a Shelby rear axle assembly, but a standard ‘65 fastback K-code.
Thanks!
Yes ,brush painted black out on the face surface only (not sides)when deluxe wheels were used. FYI outer front caliper half plated silver because of same deluxe wheel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 05:46:15 PM »
This is april/may 66 build, example of original brake lining edges , orange on front, white on rear.
66 Shelby

I posted a period photo of the same, but noticed last sentence saying it's not for a Shelby... not sure why it was posted in the 65 GT350 section?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
Did a Hipo rear use the really big fill plug? A friend of mine has a 68 Mustang with a 9 inch someone installed decades ago and it has the large fill plug in the back. Just wondering what it might be out of.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
The consensus has been that the 9" housing had a rear fill plug until about May of 67'.  I have the large plug on my 9" housing too, but it wasn't painted. It was a phosphate finish.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
Did a Hipo rear use the really big fill plug? A friend of mine has a 68 Mustang with a 9 inch someone installed decades ago and it has the large fill plug in the back. Just wondering what it might be out of.
Most likely a earlier 67 housing given the dimensional differences between the 65/66 and the 67/70 housings.Ford stopped putting the plugs in the housing sometime in late May or June 67 according to Ford docs..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 11:50:45 PM »
Thanks!