Author Topic: 5S109 is alive again  (Read 5085 times)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: 5S109 is alive again
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »
Sounds amazing Greg, well done. What was involved in getting it back together? Much work needed?
Cheers

Thank you, not really, just a lot of cleaning.  I cleaned up the bores with a really nice cross hatch.  I'm running an Isky Cam with a 264 deg duration and a .506 valve lift to wake her up a bit so she has a mean lope to her and it also gives it a quick response.  The crank was good, the pistons are new forged on the original rods, I also have the original pistons but I don't trust them.  Blue printed the oil pump, put in a NOS timing chain, rebuilt the original distributor and carb.  Heads and intake have never been cut and they were still true so there was no need to cut them.  12 deg BTDC initial timing is where its happy and runs well.   

Nice Greg. Well done. She sounds great
6S373
6S1276

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
Thanks to all! 

I put it in the car today, pulled it in the garage under power and they are finally reunited after 45 + years.   Now to tidy up a few things and melt the tires  ;D!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »
pix of the car?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »

Outside my garage, where it was stored in CA and when the owner pulled it out.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »
outstanding
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 12:32:10 AM »
Man, I love the look of that car, Greg. Well done!
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 12:47:34 AM »
Love it
6S373
6S1276

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 07:47:54 AM »
Great looking piece. Enjoy
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Engine sounds beautiful!  If that doesn't get you excited, you're already dead.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
Sounds amazing Greg, well done. What was involved in getting it back together? Much work needed?
Cheers

Thank you, not really, just a lot of cleaning.  I cleaned up the bores with a really nice cross hatch.  I'm running an Isky Cam with a 264 deg duration and a .506 valve lift to wake her up a bit so she has a mean lope to her and it also gives it a quick response.  The crank was good, the pistons are new forged on the original rods, I also have the original pistons but I don't trust them.  Blue printed the oil pump, put in a NOS timing chain, rebuilt the original distributor and carb.  Heads and intake have never been cut and they were still true so there was no need to cut them.  12 deg BTDC initial timing is where its happy and runs well.   

264 degree duration?  Is that at .50?

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
Cheers

264 degree duration?  Is that at .50?

It is...

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
Great story ! here's a pic I have in files of 109, might have been on the old forum, where and when was that taken ? What is the book on the car that Texas Swede mentions ?

Mike

googled around and found some more on 109, here, if you scroll down further past the other Fords and Shelbys, there is a bit with lots of pics on a Shelby de Mexico which I think is/was in Australia ?

http://www.bosskraft.com/car-files.html

have also posted the link in the Shelby de Mexico thread.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:33:36 AM by honker »