News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Heads Up - Email Scam

Started by J_Speegle, May 17, 2020, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Seems that someone's email or the site (and in turn out contact email addresses) may have been compromised. At least a few of us today received the following email using a members name and likely a spoof of their real email address or supply one that is close (same name - different email host).  Had another (another member) about a month ago requesting some online game credit to help out another.  Since neither of these people are in my contact list on my email programs (changed the pass word there twice since the first attempt) must be another common link and since this latest one included other targets who are members on this site I thought I would put a warning out to the group.

Today's Message

"Good to hear from you, hope all is well with you? I need to get four iTunes gift cards for my niece, It's her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling. Can you get it for me from any store around you? I'll pay back next week when I getback home."

Earlier one (different member that time) about a month ago

"I am sorry for bothering you with this mail, today is my nephew's birthday and I intend to surprise him with a birthday gift but i can't do this now because I'm currently out of town, I need to get Steam wallet gift cards for him, I tried purchasing online but unfortunately no luck with that. Can you get it from any store around you? I'll pay back as soon as i am back. Kindly let me know if you can handle this.

Await your soonest response.

Thanks"

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Don Johnston

I have not gotten the bogus message and I am sure if I did, they would not like my soonest response.  ::)

Thanks or the heads up.

capecodmustang.com

I got the message today...
They wanted me to go out and spend $400 on phone cards for a SAAC member.

I told them to go F themselves.

FL SAAC

Thanks for the heads up

Would you have the senders name or email?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

That's the spirit !

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 17, 2020, 08:14:30 PM

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

J_Speegle

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 17, 2020, 08:42:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Would you have the senders name or email?

The emails were worded as real or close to real email addresses. Would not want to call out the different members since they didn't have anything to do with the email apparently. I've contacted the most recent one before I posted

Basic basically 1966GT350Owner@hotmail.com only the 1966.... was a real members screen name. Not really that important to the process - more so the message/scam.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 17, 2020, 08:14:30 PM

I just replied that I was calling them to discuss.

If I had more time I would have invested more effort.  Just wasn't bored enough today.

gt350cs

Thanks for getting the word out. I received the same scam message. Knew immediately that it wasn't from the member whose name was used. Keep up the good work fellows!

GTBULLITT

I two received this special invite from a fellow SAAC member I know

Bob Gaines

I just got one today also. It was made to look like it came from a SAAC member that is familiar to many of us.When the request was to buy some I tune gift cards for him I knew it was a scam.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

So it looks like a spammer/scammer has access (with permissions) to the site and in turn all of our emails or someones personal email account with all of our emails listed in their contact list. 

Guess we can all look forward to more.

Might be on the dark web forums by now - for sale or just for a free for all.

A little confused...Where do I send the I tunes card cash?!?! ::)What a tool.Thanks for the heads up.

TransamEd

Another story in todays mail:

"Thanks for your reply also i want to say this i hope you have been keeping safe from the virus and also washing your hands too. I need to send some money to my attorney who is helping me secure some antiques I bought which the government are trying to impound.
I do need a little help from you because of this coronavirus i have been sick for weeks now and have been self quarantining and everything has been on self isolation for me please i do need a loan from you and i will pay you back as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you can help"
X

GT350Lad

Wow scary.  Thanks for heads up.
6S373
6S1276

Bill

Typically this type of scam harvests email addresses from a particular persons email account, not the forum. This happens any number of ways, but is generally done when someone who has your email address in their contacts clicks on a link, picture, or video embedded in an email from "someone they know and trust". They in turn are now infected, and their email contacts are now the property of the scammer. The only thing you can do is be vigilant, as the email addresses have now been compromised........

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0