News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Heads Up - Email Scam

Started by J_Speegle, May 17, 2020, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrask8

I got it too, I asked how their Camaro's were.

capecodmustang.com

This is what I received after asking them what I needed to to............

Thanks, You can get them from any grocery stores close to you. You can purchase $100 or $50 denominations - The total amount you need to get is $400, it should be four cards at $100 each. kindly open and scratch the back of the card and send me pictures showing the sixteen digit pin at the back of the card. I have attached a sample of what the cards look like.

Let me know how soon you can have this done?

G

Hi Bret,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well with you? I need to get four iTunes gift cards for my niece, It's her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling. Can you get it for me from any store around you? I'll pay back next week when I get back home.

G

OldGuy

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 18, 2020, 08:32:16 AM
This is what I received after asking them what I needed to to............

Good to hear from you, hope all is well with you? I need to get four iTunes gift cards for my niece, It's her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling. Can you get it for me from any store around you? I'll pay back next week when I get back home.

G

+1

Frank

kingchief

I got hacked by this scam in January.  An old friend I had not heard of in several years "supposedly" reached out to me wanting the iTunes cards. I exchanged a few emails eventually saying NO as I was out of state.  In some form of fashion they were able to get my credit card number and within just a few hours, they had racked up over $2000 in charges!!! Had to get a new card and all the false charges were denied. Watch your credit cards if you do not have any kind of fraud alert. They start out with a few $1-$2 charges then BOOM...go for the jugular!!! Pain in the rear so be careful and do not respond.

Steve
SFM 6S406

BGlover67

Crap, I just got one from someone claiming to be Greg K, the GT40 Registrar.  Since I know him, I almost thought it was real, until my NY kicked in.  A lot of crappy people out there.   :(
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350shelb

got same one here   for the "niece"         if i had more  time i would  keep this going  alot longer :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

BGlover67

I emailed Greg to give him a heads up.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 18, 2020, 10:09:48 AM
Crap, I just got one from someone claiming to be Greg K, the GT40 Registrar.  Since I know him, I almost thought it was real, until my NY kicked in.  A lot of crappy people out there.   :(
That darn Greg .You would think he was making enough money from his books. ;D Same here the first message from shadow Greg was asking for a favor. Innocent enough right? I said sure. Next message was asking for I tune gift cards and knew it was a scam.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlby66

I received, the same e-mail, from Greg, asking for, Google gift cards, for his niece's birthday. I said NO. 

Doug

Coralsnake

Yep got it too

I said go ahead ask away

No response

I get them from Charles T also. No disrespect Charles Im not ignoring you just your emails 😟

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Greg never sends emails, that was the tip off
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on May 18, 2020, 01:41:27 PM

He occasionally emails me which is why I wasn't suspicious at first.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR500

Thanks for the heads up. I got one from Greg today also.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 18, 2020, 05:11:31 PM
Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on May 18, 2020, 01:41:27 PM

He occasionally emails me which is why I wasn't suspicious at first.

If I get one or two a year that's a lot and they always have specific information, not vague and "click here"
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

BGlover67

The scammer got lucky because he stumbled on someone that is universally liked and respected by all.  Like Bob, I replied "sure".
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover