Author Topic: Seat belt fixings  (Read 1882 times)

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Seat belt fixings
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »
Doing a bit of lockdown maintenance on #2751 today. Can anyone confirm whether I have the right hardware (bolt, washer, spacer etc) for the fixing of the lap and shoulder harness to the side of the transmission tunnel and if they are assembled correctly? Does the spacer go between the two belt tabs or under them both? (See attached photo)

Any guidance gratefully received.

Many thanks

David.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Seat belt fixings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »
Doing a bit of lockdown maintenance on #2751 today. Can anyone confirm whether I have the right hardware (bolt, washer, spacer etc) for the fixing of the lap and shoulder harness to the side of the transmission tunnel and if they are assembled correctly? Does the spacer go between the two belt tabs or under them both? (See attached photo)

Many thanks

David.
Not a lot of definition but from what I can see in the picture the bolt,spacer and floor washer look correct and so does the order in which you are installing them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
Which belt goes on top the lap belt or harness?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
Which belt goes on top the lap belt or harness?
Lap belt goes on top.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »
Got it, thanks Bob

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:36 PM »
Would that same scheme be the same for 68?

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:43:43 AM »

Many thanks

David.
Not a lot of definition but from what I can see in the picture the bolt,spacer and floor washer look correct and so does the order in which you are installing them.

Fantastic. Many thanks.

David

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
Ok so I’ve looked more closely at these parts and I don’t feel comfortable with them. The combined thickness of the two belt tabs plus the chrome spacer is way less than the length of the shoulder on the bolt. The washer has a hole that allows the threaded part of the bolt to pass through but not the shoulder.

When the bolt is tightened, the washer bottoms on the sheet metal floor and jambs under the shoulder of the bolt leaving the two tabs and the spacer to float around freely along the shoulder section.

This means that while the bolt is tight, the tabs and spacer are loose, which really doesn’t seem right for such a safety-critical part.

What am I doing wrong?

David

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
Doing nothing wrong
The belts should float. It allows for different body types /  sizes, positioning angles etc.
Imagine belting yourself and the belts are stationary at the wrong angle.
Safer because they conform to the passenger rather then cutting into them, or the belt binding in a twist.
Take a look at the 65 66 lap belts. They are spring loaded clips that attach to eyebolts. Those really float.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:33:32 PM by davez »