News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration progress

Started by davez, May 18, 2020, 09:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davez

spent 23 hours  and 10 bags of media this weekend blasting the unibody, hood , trunk and hinges

davez

the fiberglass used to bond the outer skin to the frame was coming loose so I carefilly trimmed it back and blasted the frame
Going to epoxy prime and redo the bonding edge

Shelby_r_b

Wow - the sheet metal looks great. Well done!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 25, 2020, 10:09:15 PM
Wow - the sheet metal looks great. Well done!

Yes, beautuful

If I did that it would be flash-rusting where I'd started by the time I got the car done
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

S7MS427

Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

greekz

Quote from: davez on May 25, 2020, 10:02:53 PM
spent 23 hours  and 10 bags of media this weekend blasting the unibody, hood , trunk and hinges

Great job.  You are the man!
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Great start. Much work and reward are in front of you. Enjoy it as it comes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Looks great! Which media did you use?

davez

Thank you. Black Diamond from Tractor Supply fine grain and glass beads from TP. In the future I'll probably only use glass beads

Quote from: davez on May 26, 2020, 06:26:37 AM
Thank you. Black Diamond from Tractor Supply fine grain and glass beads from TP. In the future I'll probably only use glass beads

Is fine grain silica? Did the glass work better?

BGlover67

Can I send you my car next?  ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

davez

Quote from: 2112 on May 26, 2020, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: davez on May 26, 2020, 06:26:37 AM

Is fine grain silica? Did the glass work better?

The black diamond from tractor supply is made by us minerals 3060 4080 coal slag it works fine but can only be used once or twice at the most.  about $10 a bag. Can be very dusty.  Always want to weasr a good respirator and protection when using it.

The glass is scatmagic 40 to 80 mesh from TP tools $33 par bag if you buy a pallet of 10 plus shipping. You can use it for at least 3 cycles.

The finish is very similar and they both work about the same
The glass will last longer and produces less dust and is less dangerous healthwise.

In the future I'll pay extra  and only use the glass. They have 15% off sales a few times a year. However a friend of mine and I have been talking about having a dustless blast person come in  $650 for the outside of a car and probably double tha. It maty be worth it to pay someone else to do the dirty work. Could probably do iun a day what I did in the weekend. Might have primer on the body by now if I did. My reservations are the dustless blasting uses glass in a water slurry. Haven't learned enough about it yet. Not sure how a bare metal body getting wet doesn't rust right away.

davez

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 26, 2020, 11:07:50 AM
Can I send you my car next?  ;D

That's Funny Brian
I have 5 of my own cars after this one I could possibly do and a friend of mine has at least 3.  Were both 54  soo thanks but  probably wouldn't get to it.

Greg

I have used the dustless blasting method and it does a great job but it is terribly messy.  The problem is the slurry is a nasty mess like mud that has to be cleaned once dried.  They also spray the car down with a solution which prevents rust immediately and it works.  I kept one bare metal inside a garage for about 3 years and it did not flash rust :-).
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1