Author Topic: Special-Order 1967 Ford Country Squire Wagon 428 4-Speed BaT  (Read 3540 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
I've had the pleasure of seeing this car in person, it's owned by NCSAAC member Tom Cotter.  If you bought it, there is zero chance of parking next to another one like it at your local Cars and Coffee.  ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ford-country-squire/

This 1967 Ford Country Squire wagon was special-ordered by its original owner from Stueve Ford of Miamisburg, Ohio and was delivered in March 1967. The original owner reportedly wrote then–Ford executive Lee Iacocca requesting the car be ordered with a Q-code 428ci V8, a four-speed manual transmission, front bucket seats, and a center console. It was subsequently acquired in 2001 by the third owner, who would commission a rebuild of the engine along with other mechanical updates over the course of his 16-year ownership. The car was purchased in 2017 by the current owner—The Barn Find Hunter host Tom Cotter—who has since updated the car with an FiTech fuel-injection unit, front Wilwood disc brakes, a new clutch, a Flowmaster dual exhaust system, and rust repairs to the frame and underside. This Country Squire is now offered on behalf of the current owner with an Elite Marti report, copies of the build sheet and window sticker, records, magazine articles featuring the car, spare parts including the original carburetor, brake booster, and a stock hinge for the rear tailgate along with a clean North Carolina title.

Per the included Elite Marti report, this Country Squire is the sole example delivered new with this powertrain combination for 1967. The exterior is finished in Sauterne Gold (Z) with woodgrain appliqué along the body sides and the tailgate. Other features include stacked headlights, a deluxe luggage rack, and 428 badging along the front fenders. The car’s finish exhibits fading, and areas of corrosion are present around the upper parts of the body, the condition of which is further shown in the photo gallery below.

Factory steel wheels wear aluminum covers and Michelin whitewall tires. A Wilwood disc-brake conversion kit has been installed up front.

Parchment upholstery (6U) adorns the special-order bucket seats and is accented with a special-order center console along with woodgrain trim on the door panels and portions of the dash. Amenities include power brakes, power steering, and power windows, as well as air conditioning and an AM/FM radio.

Instrumentation consists of a 125-mph speedometer and a fuel gauge. The five-digit odometer shows just under 28k miles and is believed to have rolled over; the current owner has added approximately 8k miles. According to the seller, the air conditioning is inoperative, the power tailgate window needs assistance to raise and lower, and the rear door windows are inoperative. Two replacement window motors are included in the sale.

The cargo area is accessed via the Magic Doorgate, which drops down as a tailgate or opens out like a door, although the owner notes that the hinges should be replaced. It also features a pair of side-facing third-row jump seats that can be folded flat with the load floor.

The Q-code 428ci Thunderbird V8 was rebuilt in 2003 by West Carleton Automotive of Kinburn, Ontario in Canada. Modifications added under present ownership include an FiTech throttle-body fuel-injection unit, an auxiliary fuel pump, and a Flowmaster dual exhaust system. Power is sent rearward via a four-speed manual transmission and a conventional rear end equipped with 2.80:1 gearing. A new clutch was fitted in 2019, according to the seller.

The body and frame are said to have been separated during current ownership, when rust on the mounting points of the frame and body were repaired and refinished, and new rubber body mounts were fitted. Additional photos showing the underside are provided in the gallery.

The window sticker shows a $4,915.33 retail price, which included $559.20 for the special-order powertrain, bucket seats, and center console.

The Elite Marti report shows a February 27, 1967 build date and lists the original colors and equipment as well as production statistics and special-order information.

The video above includes excerpts from some of the car’s appearances in The Barn Find Hunter, and the narrated footage below provides more background and a walk-through of the vehicle. Additional videos feature an in-car driving demonstration along with a 2016 overview from the previous owner

Current Bid: $15,250  Ends In: 6 days

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Special-Order 1967 Ford Country Squire Wagon 428 4-Speed BaT
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »
Very cool. I'm tempted.

It's the roof rack and maybe the hub caps? :)

I need another car that gets 6 mpg!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:17:15 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
That is a really cool car.  IIRC, it was in Carlisle a number of years ago and I did a HUGE double-take when I passed by it.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
+1  If I only had unlimited garage space.   :'(

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
I am guessing this was owned by Adrian Clements a few years ago. He headed the 1967 Galaxie registry and was very much involved. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Dearborn meet. What amazed me was he knew my 67 Galaxie,428,4 speed I bought new, serial number! We had talked over the years and he really knew his stuff! I still have my Galaxie......

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
That Wagon is Awesome.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
very kool sw 428 4 speed this should fly
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
  I saw it at MCACN when Adrian first brought it out of hiding. It is really special.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »
Just imagine, this would be the perfect tow vehicle for a cobra or early Shelby
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »
that is one cool wagon!  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
Wow. That'd have been a real jaw-dropper at the full-serve gas stations, back in the day.  VERY COOL!

But, I'd ditch the fuel injection and go back to the proper leaky, smelly, vapor-lock-prone four-barrel.

Would be interesting to know the name of the original guy writing to Iacocca to get a one-off specialty car built.  The guy would've had to have been a big-time "influencer" to get that kind of treatment.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
I see aliberto towing his race car at 120 mph with this!
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »
Love it with the patina.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

JMobley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
I remember him discovering this on barn find hunter.  Very cool car!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 05:36:49 PM »
Spacious!!! ;D