News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original AC Cobra Stewart Warner 8,000 RPM Tachometer 765AA

Started by supernovass, May 20, 2020, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernovass

This is a real deal Stewart Warner 8,000 RPM tachometer that was used in AC Cobras. It is in very good original cosmetic and working condition.

I have this tach listed on EBay starting at $9.99 with NO RESERVE. The high bidder at auction end will be the proud new owner of this very rare tach. I have never seen another one of these for sale.

If you are interested, here is a link to the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353077029098

Thanks and good luck,

Jason

supernovass

If you are asking me, I really do not know. That is why I put it up for no reserve auction. Other members are welcome to chime in.

Thanks,

Jason

A-Snake

You say you tested it so I assume you have the sending unit? The sending unit comes with the tach, right?

supernovass

I tested it with a AA battery. I do have a sending unit for this tach but it is not included in the auction.

Thanks,

Jason

A-Snake

Not sure how you can test if it reads RPM without a sending unit? Perhaps you should note that there isn't a sending unit that goes with the tach on Ebay ;)

Dan Case

Quote from: supernovass on May 21, 2020, 11:52:39 AM
I tested it with a AA battery. I do have a sending unit for this tach but it is not included in the auction.

Thanks,

Jason

Specifically, the tachometer offered is for CSX2201 and later street cars. Long ago dealers could obtain a detailed bill of materials of the tachometer in case repairs were necessary. The document spelled out exactly what this unit was and its unique status as an OEM assembly. It was possible at one time to buy individual pieces and make yourself one or buy parts to be able to convert certain other OEM models to Cobra specifications.

Tachometer
XF-152469 Ford / EX 33160 Stewart Warner, Cobra unique. 

This is the Ford 'experimental' sender and matching wire loom for CSX2201 and later Cobras. Functional senders and wire looms are rarer than the Cobra unique tachometers. The sender attaches to the cockpit side of the firewall in a terrible to access location.

Do you have these exact parts available also?
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

supernovass

Dan,

No, that is not the style sender I have. The style I have is a small box that has 6 cyl and 8 cyl terminals on it. The style you posted looks like a 65 Mopar style sender which also used a SW tach.

I am about as far from a Cobra expert as possible but I do know gauges. It is possible that either style sender could be used with this tach. I believe SW went to the box style sender once this style tach opened up to aftermarket use and a 6 cylinder option was necessary.

When I first got this tach, I tested it with the box style sender on my 65 Nova. It worked well and appeared accurate. I was only comfortable testing to around 4500 rpm since it is a low performance 283. That is why I used the aa battery test to test the full 8k scale of the tach.

I will try to attach pictures of the box style sender I am referring to as well as the Mopar style sender.

"A-Snake" if you are the one asking all the questions through eBay, please ask here so everyone will have the same answers and I do not have to post twice.

Please excuse my ignorance of this tach. I knew it was special but I was not certain it was Cobra specific. I can tell you the meter is in good working condition.

Thanks,

Jason

supernovass

This is from a 1966 SW catalog. This is why I tested it with the box sender.

Jason

Dan Case

Quote from: supernovass on May 21, 2020, 04:52:43 PM

Jason

I asked because somebody restoring an original CSX2201 and later Cobra would probably want the entire factory set of components. That said it is not uncommon to find an original Cobra not restored to new using just about anything that will fit the gauge hole including an OE tachometer gutted and converted to a type that doesn't require a separate sender. I have seen several original tachometers for sale but don't recall any WORKING Cobra senders and wire looms for sale.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

A-Snake

Quote from: supernovass on May 21, 2020, 04:52:43 PM

Jason

Notice the catalog shows that sender is calibrated to a 4000 or 6000 RPM tach. It does not mention the Cobra 8000 RPM tach.

supernovass

Dan,

Thanks for the reply and for sharing your knowledge. You are obviously well versed in this subject and I would love to learn from you.  Yes, I can completely understand someone wanting a complete package. Unfortunately, this tach came to me just as you see it. The SW Mopar sending unit looks the same as the Cobra one you sent. It may have different resistors, etc inside the box, I don't know. Either way, I imagine the sender is likely going to the serviced before being installed anyway. Any decent gauge service guy should be able keep the externals of the Mopar/Cobra sender intact while putting the proper components inside.

A-Snake,

To my knowledge, it is not the sender that is calibrated. It is the tach. The sender sends the same impulse whether it is a 1,000 or 10,000 rpm tach. The tach meter just reacts differently to that signal. That is why the same sender is used for the 4,500 and 6,000 RPM tachs.

Thanks again guys,

Jason

supernovass

The auction ends tonight at 7PM Pacific Time.

Thanks and good luck,

Jason