Author Topic: 289 Cobra leaf spring wrap  (Read 3872 times)

CSX2259

• View Profile
289 Cobra leaf spring wrap
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
I was curious as to what is accepted as being “correct” for the color of the material wrap for the front and rear leaf springs on a 260/289 Cobra, what color are the SAAC Judges looking for when the car is being judged? There are a few different color Denso tapes being offered, would it be the green or tan color? Thanking you in advance.

I have an original spring assembly with the tape intact but I have seen restorers using the green Denso tape most often.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:01:50 PM by CSX2259 »

werthie

• View Profile
Re: 289 Cobra leaf spring wrap
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
has anyone wrapped their leaf springs in situ?  any advice on how to do this?

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:07 AM »
It would be difficult to get the material past the inner fender panels and the suspension components.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
Hi John,

I took the radiator out of CSX2079 (for a good cleaning). To this day it still has its original leaf spring wrap. It’s wrapped from the center mounting brackets section outwards through the inner aluminum panels to the ends. See pics.

Cheers,
~Earl J

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Thank you, Earl!
Given, time, dirt and oil or grease I am sure the covering has change color just like most any component would.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
I have acquired front and rear NOS leaf springs for a small block Cobra with factory wrapping that have been wrapped in plastic for decades. Upon unwrapping these springs I have noted that the color of the wrap is closer to a brown rather than the green which seems to be the accepted color of the wrap today. I do realize because of the sticky surface of the wrap that given time and exposure to road grime that the spring wrap will attract during daily use that the color will change. I also have an original spring that was removed from another chassis that retains it’s original wrapping with road grime in place, it is very similar to Earl’s example.
Please see examples...the top photo being the NOS wrap, the next being the currently accepted wrap and the final two phots being the original wrap with road grime.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:39:05 PM by CSX2259 »

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
Thanks John, neat.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »
So here’s my question, what is going to be acceptable in the eyes of the SAAC Judges when it comes time for a leaf spring Cobra to be judged at a show?

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
Here is CSX2552 on the assembly line at AC Cars Ltd. The spring wrap looks pretty dark. I  think this would be the reference to use for judging.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »
Here is CSX2552 on the assembly line at AC Cars Ltd. The spring wrap looks pretty dark. I  think this would be the reference to use for judging.

I may be wrong but have always thought that the wrap was soaked in cosmoline.  I have only seen the darker leaf on unrestored Cobra's and assumed that cosmoline and it's honey appearance effected the leaf. As has been mentioned it can be expected that with time and exposed to the elements that the wrap could be darkened . With that said it is hard to deny the darker appearance in the period picture. I would think that the look in the photo would be a reasonable expectation for a concours judge to have,
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dwathencars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
Subjects like this are the fun part of this forum!
So, CSX2367 has been judged Premiere at two SAAC events 7 years apart.   I replaced the Desmo tape before the second judging event when I was refreshing the engine compartment, since Lori and I drive our cars.  These photos show the brownish tint on the car and on the roll.   It is possible to wrap the springs with the aluminum paneling in place, although I recall finding sticky spots on my arms for a while...
As you know Desmo tape was used on many British cars over the years so remains readily available.  Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 01:01:07 AM »
DWATHEN,

Do you remember who you ordered your Denso tape from? I have tried several vendors and have come up no joy on the color even though it was specified. Thank you and I hope you are enjoying 2367!