News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Kelsey Hayes Magstar Rims

Started by donnelson, May 21, 2020, 07:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donnelson

I'm trying to repaint the black on my rims. Is there a specific type of paint, shine or lack of shine I need to consider? I appreciate any help I can get.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: donnelson on May 21, 2020, 07:14:44 PM
I'm trying to repaint the black on my rims. Is there a specific type of paint, shine or lack of shine I need to consider? I appreciate any help I can get.
There were two shades of paint used on 67 magstars nether were black. Early style were a lighter metallic gray and the later wheels were a much darker metallic gray often confused with black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Here is a close-up of a promo shot of an early Mag Star wheel in the "unfinished" recessed areas.  Some (many) of the later or aftermarket wheels had visibly different finish.

The first and third image is the same car. Fourth image is a late survivor car.

The second image is a compilation of some different wheels, some are old images, some are old wheels unrestored, the one in the upper left is a NOS wheel that was solid light gray paint, only one I've seen that finish on.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

donnelson

Thank you for the quick replies. The pictures give me a good reference.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: donnelson on May 21, 2020, 10:20:22 PM
Thank you for the quick replies. The pictures give me a good reference.
The last picture JD posted doesn't represent the typical later darker color IMO.That is too light .It may have been found on a later car but it would be a anomaly IMO.  The typical later color is a dark grey metallic very close to dark argent.That is what all of the repro companies and Craig Conley thought was black and copied after.  If you have a earlier car then the pictures posted give you a idea of what you need. If you have a much later car then the you need the very dark grey(dark argent). When was your car built or what is the Shelby VIN?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

donnelson

The VIN ends is -2343. I guess I need the darker of the two.

roddster

Some of the reasons folks think "black" is due to the aftermarket MagStars being sold by other suppliers were black.  And also when it was do-able to rerim the MagStars seems the centers came back black.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on May 22, 2020, 09:49:33 AM
  Some of the reasons folks think "black" is due to the aftermarket MagStars being sold by other suppliers were black.  And also when it was do-able to rerim the MagStars seems the centers came back black.
Reread reply #1 and #4.That is most likely the reason some folks think black.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: donnelson on May 22, 2020, 02:45:48 AM
The VIN ends is -2343. I guess I need the darker of the two.
NPD sells dark argent in spray cans.

donnelson