Author Topic: 67 shelby tailight wiring harness.  (Read 1807 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
67 shelby tailight wiring harness.
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:46:36 PM »
Hello everyone.
I am just looking for some advice and general information from people that may have done this before. I am installing a new taillight harness in a 67 Shelby, I have the Osborne manuals handy and understand how to install it and where everything goes my real question is how much of the rear interior do I have to disassemble to be able to feed the harness through to the trunk? Is it possible to remove the hockey rear interior molding that (goes behind the roll bar that covers the rear sail vent panel and rear lower quarter panel) and be able to loosen the screws that hold the rear sail vent panel and slide the rear lower quarter interior trim panel with the sail light down and out? or do you pretty much have to remove the two roof trim panels, then the sail vent panels and then the rear lower interior panels to be able to achieve the goal of feeding the new harness through?
The fold down seat is in the car however the base and back portion(the upholstered pieces are out) if that helps at all.
Just thought I would ask for some general help and advice and how people have approached this job before. I must admit removing all those panels seems daunting :-\ however what will be will be I guess.
Thank you for any help and advice.
All the best
Dave

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 shelby tailight wiring harness.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
IF you're replacing the existing then you maybe able to use the old to pull the new through, but for certain (from my perspective) you'll need to remove the door sill plates as that area is the tightest to pull though.

It all goes down/along the drivers' side so only have to do it once.  Tapered and tightest as possible taping to the old (staggered taping) will be necessary.

To your point Yes the Osborne book are great help and Yes you have to start at the top and work all the way down to get the lowest and largest panel off and yes the rear seat and all the fold-down need to come out first as they go in last.

Others will chime-in...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:24:31 AM »
You will have to pull the left rear quarter trim. There is a plastic clip on the upper side about a foot and a half before it comes into the trunk. You'll also want to be very careful pulling the harness and plugs through the hole that is at the back of where the door still plate would cover. It's easy to skin the insulation and damage the harness. There was also a 2.5" strip of black masking tape that covered the channel where the harness runs under the door still plate.
You can obtain a roll via AMK products.  You'll need a special tool to remove the screws that are along the seat on the still plate unless you elect to remove the front seat. I can send you a picture of the tool if you want to purchase one. They're only a few dollars.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for the reply's.
Keith I already have the drivers side seat out and the scuff plate off. I have routed the harness in the trunk first and clipped it into the hole in the drivers side rear quarter according to the Osborne manuals. I have managed to feed it to the top of the drivers side wheel arch from in the trunk. So I just need to route it from the wheel arch down past the roll bar through the drivers door post and along the drivers side sill. So I'm kind of just thinking what's the least I can remove (as the panels all align good and have been painted) to just get the large lower rear quarter panel with the interior light removed or pulled away enough to extend my arm in and route the wiring and connect the new earth wire for the light in the interior panel.
Thanks everyone for the help.
All the best
Dave

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »
  When you get past this part, then you have to decide which of the three or four ways your car's tail lights were wired at Shelby American.  There has been proir post scovering this but, you'll need to be cognisant of your car's build date at S/A

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
  When you get past this part, then you have to decide which of the three or four ways your car's tail lights were wired at Shelby American.  There has been proir post covering this but, you'll need to be cognizant of your car's build date at S/A
^^
It is suggested that if the amp gauge wires in the engine compartment from the under dash gauges are wrapped with black tape OR if they have the tube sheathing that you do the same with the segments between tail light socket end in the trunk.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:31:50 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »
If you do need to remove the interior panels and you have not done this before, I recommend labelling every individual screw you remove or replacing it back into the hole it came from and taping it in place. The assortment of screws in these panels over the years is usually pretty impressive. It will save you a lot of time if you know which exact screw came out of which exact hole.
       Also, make a brief note of the order of disassembly of the panels so you put them back in place in the correct order and avoid do-overs.
Jeff

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
Hello Everyone. Thanks for the advice and help. I have managed to complete the task this evening and have everything back together all ok. I had already done exactly what you said Jeff about the screws and keeping everything in order. I managed to remove the top upper drivers side roof panel, then the hockey trim between the upper and lower front quarter panels followed by the removal of the sail vent panel. I then managed to loosen the screws and bolts holding the front lower quarter panel with the light in place and managed to reach inside and remove the earth wire to the light and unclip the old harness and slowly pull it through from the trunk. Then feed the new harness in from the trunk over the wheel arch through the quarter panel and followed the Osborn manual. All went great.
Thank you everyone for the advice.
Have a nice day
Dave