News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help with fender badge orientation

Started by BGlover67, March 26, 2018, 07:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Ok, time for an idiot question, but I can see myself screwing this up pretty quickly.  I am just about to replace my fender badges with some nice NOS ones I got from Bob G, and I honestly am stuck trying to figure out the orientation.  Both pins are angled, but one is angled more.  Which is up? 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67_1183

I was recently comparing some service replacement plastic holders with Drake reproductions.  For test placement, I oriented the plastic holder such that it followed the curvature of the fender and then looked at the pin angle.  The pin angle looked off so I rotated the holder 180 deg and that made the axis of the pins parallel to the ground.  Fit right in, no issues.

BTW, the pin spacing on the Drake reproductions is off and would not fit in the holes on 1183's original fenders.

Just my experience.

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bossbill

According to my fenders these go in with barrel clips.
And that makes me very nervous as pushing these delicate plastic pins into barrels just seems like an ingredient for disaster.

Tips?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on April 04, 2018, 12:58:44 PM
According to my fenders these go in with barrel clips.
And that makes me very nervous as pushing these delicate plastic pins into barrels just seems like an ingredient for disaster.

Tips?
I typically forget the barrel clips and use clear silicone. Tape in place until it sets. If it ever has to come off it will do so without taking paint off. It will come off clear compared to contact cement. That is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

I was able to get my badges inserted into the barrel nuts without damage.  I was very careful and slow.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

BGlover67

I like Bob's technique, but just a few days ago, I had just mounted an NOS trunk emblem using 3M double sided tape.  My body work guy recommended it, and I also didn't have the nerve to start pushing 40+ Year old plastic pins into the barrels. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Which Silicone is that? I can tell you if it is 3M 5200, and if the surfaces are reasonably clean, you will never get it off again.

Alan

And if the silicone has a vinegar odor, don't use it; it's acidic.
Max
'67    0029

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on April 04, 2018, 04:00:41 PM
Which Silicone is that? I can tell you if it is 3M 5200, and if the surfaces are reasonably clean, you will never get it off again.
Has worked for me. I don't remember if it was 3 M or not . If it was it was on the hardware store shelf.I just look for a name brand vs a generic brand although 100% silicone is what it is. I am not typically taking emblems on and off however I have had to take some off to replace with originals and it wasn't a problem.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

I am guessing in this case, inexpensive hardware store silicone is smart.

5200 is insanely adhesive and for all intents and purposes, permanent. But it is 3M's top product, so it gets sold all over the place as your basic silicone.