Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 2348 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Today we honor those who gave all to preserve our freedom, and way of life. I did not serve, but have always wondered if I would have had the courage to die for my country. I like to think that I would have.  All gave some, Some gave all. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »
My Dad landed on the beaches of Normandy France the first week of July 1944.

He was part of that great generation.

Miss him terribly....

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »

My Dad served in the Army Air Corp. and flew a myriad of planes mainly in Alaska where he was stationed. His love of flying extended to flying aerobatics at age 82 in his de Havilland DHC- 1 Chipmunk giving family members rides.
His last major flight was this last year when he flew solo from Washington State to the Palm Springs Air museum in his Stinson L-5 at the age of 95. The plane is on loan to the museum currently.
My Dad passed away this April just shy of 96, I miss him terribly, but admire his rich full life.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Today at 3:OO pm, go outside to see if you can hear TAPS being played in tribute.  Being done all across the country.  Play it on your instrument, if you can.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »

Miss him terribly....

My Uncle Steve was there also, he always marched in out local parade, until he was not around anymore, he was a great man, mathematician, investor, husband and I am honored to have been one of many nieces and nephews. He also had something to do with keeping track of all the veterans. You are right they were a great generation, and I do not know what went wrong with the followup generations.
RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 03:54:48 PM »
Really nice to read everyone's comments about veterans in their families.  I respect all those who served.

My dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor, but not until 1944.   

My Uncle Dee served in the USMC in both WWI and WWII.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:01:17 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Made a wallet sized card of the tracing I took of my Dad's name on the Vietnam Memorial Wall, it's always with me.

Threw this together this morning. Out of town so only have an acoustic with me, would have used an electric had I been home which would have been "Hendixish".

http://youtu.be/RFlQemVDdgQ
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:47:59 PM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
 :)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »

Miss him terribly....
Amen to that my Friend. 

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
I've been extremely interested and studying WWII for over 10 years now, and it still ABSOLUTELY amazes me that these "Teenagers" fought so intense day in and day out!! 

When I am fortunate enough to meet a WWII Veteran, and shake his hand, I get the best Vibe to go through my body to understand that this Man, who was a Kid in WWII, was so damn Brave to fight Germans and Japanese to the Death.

Others that were not so fortunate to make it home, those are the real Heroes and the WWII Veterans that made it home, will tell you Exactly that!!

Please take the time to go to youtube and subscribe to "Memoirs of WWII", I swear you will be glad you did.

God Bless ALL our Veterans, Past and Present!!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
Well, the average age of a combatant during WWII and Korea was 26. Vietnam and post the average age is 19.
I wasn't even 19 when I saw action in Grenada on 25 Oct 83.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »

Sure would be nice if this thread concentrated on those who died in the line of duty.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »
It does exactly that.  We also discussed the average age of those lost. I am fortunate. I was only wounded.  I have covered this a dozen times where people wish veterans a "Happy Memorial Day"  It's a day of mourning for those who have lost friends and loved ones. Not a day for BBQs and celebration.
Most are historically ignorant and know little about our history or it's events.  God Rest Their Souls.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
I should’ve been more specific and say that A LOT of the young men were teenagers (18-19 and even 17 in the British Army). I wasn’t basing my narrative on average ages. Just know that a lot of young men in their teens died fighting fierce battles against an evil regime.

During the War, the soldiers of the both the German and Japanese (Axis Powers) Armed Forces, done what any soldier would do, Fight for their Lives. German soldiers were give out at and/or near the end of the war and actually knew that Hitler ultimately Betrayed them and most hated him for that.

Seen a program not long ago where a nominal percentage of the German Army didnt even know about the concentration camps.  Most were the combat soldiers and had no reason to know.

Yes, I’m with you guys, we mourn for the men who fought fiercely and lost their lives for our Country and our Freedom.

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »
On this Memorial Day, I honor my paternal grandmother's brother.

Bert I. McQuiston

C battery, 95th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, attached to the 46th Armored Infantry Battalion, 5th Armored Division.

KIA, August 21, 1944, near L'Aigle, France.

Interred in the Brittany American Cemetery, Montjoie Saint Martin, France.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976