News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

valve cover gasket

Started by cbrown, May 26, 2020, 01:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrown

Where was the conversation on valve cover gaskets for gt350 cars?  I cant find it..   Are they the same for 65-70 small block?

chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cbrown on May 26, 2020, 01:32:56 PM
Where was the conversation on valve cover gaskets for gt350 cars?  I cant find it..   Are they the same for 65-70 small block?

chris
Sorry,I haven't looked but they are the same cork with tabs that correspond with the valve cover cut outs (even on cast open letter) 65-70 smallblock . The exception is some early versions were black on the top and bottom face and later ones bare cork.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cbrown

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cbrown

Thank you Jeff for link .   Makes more sense to me now.   Doing a little detailing on one of the survivors and had valve covers off was questioning them being replaced..

chris

EdwardGT350

what type valve cover gaskets for the black closed letter valve covers? black on top? tabs present?
1966 GT350 6s1761

J_Speegle

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on May 26, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
what type valve cover gaskets for the black closed letter valve covers? black on top? tabs present?

For 66 - Triangle/pointed shaped tabs in the correct six spots. Cork gasket with black on top and bottom surfaces is the current expectation/understanding

Don't have any period pictures since most articles were done with earlier cars to push sales but do have the picture below showing a 67 with the painted closed letter valve covers as an example to illustrate.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

EdwardGT350

on cork gaskets that have the black coating on them, is it recommended to apply a sealant? which brand sealant?
1966 GT350 6s1761