Author Topic: Aftermarket headers for 67 GT500  (Read 9793 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket headers for 67 GT500
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
When we placed the order the headers and H pipe shipped the same day. If you get the headers you will want the H pipe - it uses modern style ball connections with no gaskets. Very high end system compared to the old style junk.

For some reason they are not listed on the JBA website but if you call them you can place the order.

Do you have any pictures?

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »
Sorry I did not take any pics of the exhaust system. Here's the car in my shop.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »

Do you have a part #?

JBA doesn't even have their own website, and those under Hedman or Pertronix JBA pages show nothing at all.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »

I live on a mountain. The road has no guardrails.

The Mounties take a dim view of wheelie bars.

In the past when I rode my KZ1000 & CB1100F (rather aggressively) on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was amused by the "guardrail" along the drops; these consisting of a long length of four-by-four lumber laying horizontal stacked upon a short piece positioned at the joints below thereby providing a approximately a twelve inch height. This appearing  just sufficient to provide some pitch if you engaged it so as to be sure you to acquire some air so as to clear edge of the crevasse ensuring a long tumble down.         :o

Oh, and "Wheelie-Bars" are for little girls!            ::)

Scott.

Those girls WERE NOT LITTLE. Wheelie bars makes them flash. Those were pretty big.

The bikes are annoying. They just make sport for us. They can be tough to hit firing from a tri-pod at a thousand yards but that's the fun.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »

What's the other car???

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
You can see a 1914 Model T Ford on the left and a 1915 Model T Ford behind the guy in the white shirt. Behind those two is my 1968 W code Cougar GT-E. Two other cars are behind the camera.

Sorry I don't have any record of the part numbers ordered.

What's the other car???

TOB
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
If anyone is really interested in the jba shorty headers I can text Jay and ask him about them.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »
If anyone is really interested in the jba shorty headers I can text Jay and ask him about them.

Roy

Ask him about "the best set of 67 GT500 headers ever made" while you are at it. Something like 40 years ago he was going to build them for his own car.

They are according to him, "big tube/long tube" headers. I've never seen them but that doesn't mean he never made them? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

Roy

Are the stainless FE shortys and H pipes still being made ?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2020, 09:51:09 PM »

Roy

Ask him about "the best set of 67 GT500 headers ever made" while you are at it. Something like 40 years ago he was going to build them for his own car.

They are according to him, "big tube/long tube" headers. I've never seen them but that doesn't mean he never made them? ;)
Jay made some for his car but I don't think he made many more . I don't think he was running PS on his car ether which effects what you can do with header design.I had him make me a set based on what he made for himself.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »

Roy

Jay made some for his car but I don't think he made many more . I don't think he was running PS on his car ether which effects what you can do with header design.I had him make me a set based on what he made for himself.

I had been dealing with JBA over issues with the SB set of headers I bought from them and while I was talking to them (a series of calls) I asked about the headers.

They got back to me and referred me to the set of shorties they had in the catalog at that point.

To me, there is a way of dealing with the power steering ram including not needing an extension so I feel blaming it all on the power steering is a cop out and a panic attack on the part of the header manufacturer?

The set on the Supersnake was built on the car and couldn't come off without hacking them off. Maybe that's just the real reality of the situation?

Is the finished result of J's likely to be a nightmare to install? Likely but that's not what I was asking Bittle about.

I would assume, since there are only so many alternatives on where to run the primaries, that they would likely look like the set that you had on your 67 500?

How do you bolt them to the heads? I think with some type of velcro?  ;)

There just is not a perfect solution to the FE/Mustang header dilemma. Anything will be better then an iron exhaust manifold.

Even in it's heyday, the 427 Ford was a 450hp/450ft-lb engine. RPM's were limited by valve spring technology. So tales of 800hp, 8,000rpm 427's to me are just fairy tales anyway.

I'm just using the Hookers and occasional grumble over the lack of perfection but "that's just the way it is?"  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
Has anyone ever tried having their stock exhaust extrude honed?

https://www.extrudehoneafm.com/industries/automotive/

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »

Roy

I have wondered if that would make much of a difference. Dyno results would be best, and hard to come by.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
I would liken that to breathing thru a garden hose vs a straw, not nearly the same .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »

Roy

$700.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!