News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Aftermarket headers for 67 GT500

Started by kbraitbe, May 27, 2020, 04:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

Quote from: 427heaven on June 01, 2020, 08:41:38 PM
I would liken that to breathing thru a garden hose vs a straw, not nearly the same .

It all depends on what somebody is looking for. I'll bet if it were ceramic coated inside once it's extrude honed it would probably pick up round 30 horsepower.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

I texted Jay tonight so we will see what he has to say.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

Quote from: TA Coupe on June 02, 2020, 02:04:52 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on June 01, 2020, 08:41:38 PM
I would liken that to breathing thru a garden hose vs a straw, not nearly the same .

It all depends on what somebody is looking for. I'll bet if it were ceramic coated inside once it's extrude honed it would probably pick up round 30 horsepower.

Roy

Not sure many of are looking to build a real racing engine at this point. 30 would be a nice bump.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on June 02, 2020, 02:06:01 AM
I texted Jay tonight so we will see what he has to say.

Roy
He probably still has something to say but I thought Jay sold JBA some years ago?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

My guess would be 95 percent of 428 owners don't need any more help then what came original on their cars. For the few of us that require much more then what came stock, it is a balance between cost vs reward. Is spending 1000- 1800 rewarding to get those performance gains? Different answer to each owner. I would rather pay 300- 400$ and put a performance carb on instead maybe much less if you have some friends that can hook you up to get that extra 20 - 30 HP. ;)

TA Coupe

I heard back from Jay today and this is what he texted me:

Hi Roy,
Good to here from you.  Thanks for the tip.    That is a great question.
Purchase JBA 6655S it is stainless TRI-Y design for CJ not a shorty.  Order same part number with H not S for the bolt up H-pipe.   They are available on JBA Speed Shop .com for  730 and 210.  Many tests make great power. Major good ground clearance.   PS bracket required.  Factory Z bar fits many happy customers.  Thick 3/8 flange can be close to reinforced shock towers and can be trimmed if needed.  J.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

I have always known JBA products to be of highest quality.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Wonder where Stan got his design?   ::)

Not shortys but allowing equalizer bar and being stainless are big pluses.

Not hanging down too low and dragging the biggest upside of all.

Thanks Roy

Bob Gaines

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello,

0100 now has the JBA SS Tri-Y headers on it.  This is the best photo that I have right now that gives you an idea of how well the headers and the exhaust system tuck up to the underside of the car.  As you can see, the ground clearance is really nice.

Thanks,
Eric

Please remind me the difference between the PI & CJ Bolt pattern. Is just one extra bolt on the end port?

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on June 03, 2020, 02:00:58 AM
Hello,

0100 now has the JBA SS Tri-Y headers on it.  This is the best photo that I have right now that gives you an idea of how well the headers and the exhaust system tuck up to the underside of the car.  As you can see, the ground clearance is really nice.

Thanks,
Eric

Your traction bars hang down lower.

How was installation? Sound?

Since you took off other headers, was there a noticeable power difference?

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello,

I believe CJ heads have 16 bolts and the C7AE-A GT390 heads are 14 bolts (the middle two ports only have 3 bolts).  Installation was time consuming, but not too bad.  We used bolts with 5/16" heads.  Quality is excellent.  We did not have to ding them anywhere for additional clearance.  I think they sound nice in combination with the rest of the exhaust.  This was part of a complete engine swap, so I cannot compare power levels.  The engine was dynoed with these headers installed.  The engine made great power and I do not believe the headers hindered the power production.

Thanks,
Eric

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on June 02, 2020, 08:57:10 PM
I heard back from Jay today and this is what he texted me:

Hi Roy,
Good to here from you.  Thanks for the tip.    That is a great question.
Purchase JBA 6655S it is stainless TRI-Y design for CJ not a shorty.  Order same part number with H not S for the bolt up H-pipe.   They are available on JBA Speed Shop .com for  730 and 210.  Many tests make great power. Major good ground clearance.   PS bracket required.  Factory Z bar fits many happy customers.  Thick 3/8 flange can be close to reinforced shock towers and can be trimmed if needed.  J.

That is what I was told also.

I can't argue that the system doesn't look good on the car, it does. However, you didn't ask him if this design is what he made for his car? I don't think so though?
I think J's answer is for an audience of one, JBA, not me or you? ;)

The H-pipe clearly states that it is constructed of 409 stainless. That is the material that by design, develops a brown oxidized coating on it under normal use.

I didn't see the material of the headers stated but I may have missed that?

Personally I'd want the 409 ceramic coated. I think I like their "titanium" color the best but the flat black would look nice as well.

Tri-y's are a practical solution to a street car and no-one can prove hp unless they dyno the same engine with various header designs.

The question always was what is the best combination of power and practical.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!