News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original 1967 Autoilte battery

Started by Cobramax, May 27, 2020, 07:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobramax

Another question for you battery experts: the ads and my Autolite catalogs from 1963 to 1967 show the markings on the top of the battery to be red in color and some ads show the markings on at least one side to also be red. I see no evidence of any residual red on my battery. We're the assembly line batteries different and without red letters?
Anyone have an assembly line or showroom photo that reveals
The battery?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jim

CharlesTurner

We know it's a 24F by the ampere stamping on the side.  24F had red caps also, 22F (smaller) had yellow caps.

Attached is a period photo.  Only the warning lettering is yellow.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CharlesTurner on May 28, 2020, 04:58:59 PM
We know it's a 24F by the ampere stamping on the side.  24F had red caps also, 22F (smaller) had yellow caps.

Attached is a period photo.  Only the warning lettering is yellow.
So someone does not get the wrong idea when researching this subject I wanted to add that there were more then only 2 variations of batteries in 67. There were 3 .  I would add that there is another assemblyline group 24 battery that was lower amp hour capacity then the red cap 24 and it was identified by yellow caps. The yellow cap group 24 came standard from the factory on 67 GT500's that did not have the heavy duty battery option . If it came with the 42 amp alternator from the factory it got the yellow cap 24 . If it came with the heavy duty battery option it came with a 55 amp alternator and higher capacity red cap 24.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby