News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Intake Gaskets

Started by Shawn, May 28, 2020, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

What gasket manufacture would be the best choice for style and color match of OE.  All gaskets under intake that are visible.

Thanks

6s1640

gt350hr

Cory,
      Those are '69-70 351W and are not correct for a 289 head/intake.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shawn

Much appreciated

Thanks to all

6s1640

Quote from: gt350hr on May 28, 2020, 01:41:53 PM
   Cory,
      Those are '69-70 351W and are not correct for a 289 head/intake.
    Randy

Hi Randy,  Good to know.  Thank you.  Is the color about right?

Take care

Cory

gt350hr

Yes the color is correct because the material that "was" used is asbestos. "That" is why they are no longer made of that material. Originals are very rare and "technically" illegal to have /use.
      Randy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on May 29, 2020, 10:07:15 AM
   Yes the color is correct because the material that "was" used is asbestos. "That" is why they are no longer made of that material. Originals are very rare and "technically" illegal to have /use.
      Randy
Also to add to Randy's point is asbestos is why many simply paint the gasket to match the off white asbestos color so that the modern gasket looks the part for concours detailing. Adding the extra colored line details to the portion that is seen once installed is also done. Trying to get the historical look is the endeavor and how you do that is the challenge. Necessity is the mother of invention can be applied here.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

I will continue to seek out original gaskets as I have for many years. They are VERY random finds , but are "out there". Because of this , I want to be clear that I will be "selective" in any sales of them. Honestly these do not belong on a "daily driver" or a car that won't ever be in a judging competition , but they can certainly aide one that is being judged. Currently I have ONE set for a '67-68 ONLY. PM if interested.
     Randy

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on May 29, 2020, 12:14:07 PM
     I will continue to seek out original gaskets as I have for many years. They are VERY random finds , but are "out there". Because of this , I want to be clear that I will be "selective" in any sales of them. Honestly these do not belong on a "daily driver" or a car that won't ever be in a judging competition , but they can certainly aide one that is being judged. Currently I have ONE set for a '67-68 ONLY. PM if interested.
     Randy

You in fact know that the white gaskets are asbestos BUT they aren't stamped and identified as such.

We have the same issue with some siding, floor tiles and ceiling tiles in construction. You can put them in the regular garbage because no one knows what they are. They aren't stamped asbestos all over them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

And another though one of the end cork gaskets appears to be missing in the picture. One side the printing is visible on the other a spray adhesive was applied

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge