Author Topic: Retrospective Spotlight - SAAC-5  (Read 352 times)

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Retrospective Spotlight - SAAC-5
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
Welcome to the first thread of our Retrospective Spotlight series...

We have picked an outstanding event to commemorate and solicit your memories, anecdotes, photos and any remembrances of...

SAAC-5, Dearborn - July 3-4-5, 1980

Yes, 40 years ago....sorry to say.

Let's hear from the folks who were there... and you can tell the youngbloods here about how you had a blast at a SAAC event... "back in the day."

We'd like to hear and see accounts of the street races, speeding tickets, fireworks...and unspeakable shenanigans like that.

I'll start with a reprint of the "Graybeard Chronicles" that described this event....after that, it's all yours to fill in...

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Retrospective Spotlight - SAAC-5
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
  • original posts more than McDonalds over 1 billlion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »
Outstanding  thread
These cars are meant to be driven, so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all clean. Carroll Shelby

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Florida S.A.A.C. diverse and inclusive.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:43:39 PM »
Great read and memories of a much simpler era.  I didn't make it to that Dearborn SAAC event, but was there for the '83 Convention.

I knew Paul Preuss from Ford PR, and he was a great guy. 
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982 (now running Shelby aluminum 427 S-O)
Kirkham Cobra 427

ricur2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:55 PM »
maybe   Bill Collins will chime in about his ride in 2148 on friday nite on the street hahaha 

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
My first convention. I was s poor I stayed in a room in the residence of the University of Windsor where I had been attending school and drove across the Ambassador Bridge every morning to attend the convention.

This convention literally changed the course of my life. I saw a real Cobra for the first time. Stayed up late each night and tried to absorb every speck of the whole experience. I talked to Lary Zane about a 1966 Hertz car he had just restored. $10,000. Out of my price range at the time, but not to worry; he was in the midst of restoring another one. Greg Longberger's  427 cobra up on jack stands, wheels off so you could see the mirror stainless inner fenders. Standing about 2 feet off the asphalt on the straightaway at Utica  as cars roared by at nearly 200 mph.

I look at the world today. Ever been back to the Hyatt site?

We have tons of good times left, and I still wait all year for those 4 days at the SAAC convention, But if you missed SAAC 5, you can never see how it was for us.

But at least now they make movies about it.