Author Topic: Original intake to 6s843  (Read 4521 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Original intake to 6s843
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
Attached are two photos of 6s843's original intake. One of the holes for the carburetor bolt is stripped out. Question: Worth restoring or better to get the dual plane Blue Thunder aftermarket? All opinions welcome. And if the preponderance of thought leans toward restoration, thoughts then where to send it? Thank you!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Original intake to 6s843
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »
Now that is an ugly hole.

The choice of repo over original repaired is a personal one.  Cost is going to be different and if your penny pinching then often the quickest easiest answer the the best. Sell this one and use the $$s to fund a repo.

If originality is the focus and the fact that it is a repo (if you replace it) will bother you (remember to mention the swap when it comes time to sell the car) then repair it and be happy with your choice. Good thing is that it appears that none of the exposed surfaces (once its installed) will be seen is a plus IMHO to doing the repair. Have them look and possibly correct any water damage to the front intake mating surface while your at it if need be (hard to tell from the picture)

This reminds me I need to put a wanted ad out for one of these

In any case - evaluate your choices, make one, be happy with it and move on to the next one

Good luck
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »
Attached are two photos of 6s843's original intake. One of the holes for the carburetor bolt is stripped out. Question: Worth restoring or better to get the dual plane Blue Thunder aftermarket? All opinions welcome. And if the preponderance of thought leans toward restoration, thoughts then where to send it? Thank you!

Richard E.
As repairs go that is a easier one . A rear ear needing repair is difficult and more so to make unnoticeable . I can't tell if a helicoil will work or if it is needed to be welded. Weld up ,re drill ,re tap and your done . The repair will not be seen once put into service because the carb base plate will cover it. If you don't feel confident to have it done locally send it to Jim @ Shelby Parts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:39:12 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Sounds good, Bob.  If I decide to repair I will bring it to Jim Cowles definitely!  Thank you.

Richard E.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »
I agree, fix it. I had a similar stripped out hole at the front where the thermostat housing bolts up and had it fixed well. sure it cost a bit more then a repo but it looks right (patina) and it’s how it rolled out of SA 50+ years ago. Good luck
6S373
6S1276

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
     Fix it. You only have one original intake. That isn't as bad as it looks . If you use a BT you might as well paint it day glow orange , it is that much different.
     Just My Humble Opinion.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »
easy fix.  if you cant find someone to do it.  send it here and Ill get it done
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »
Fix it and the repair should be invisible when put back on the engine.

Cory

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
I don't think that is 843s original intake. I had bead blasted and clear coated the original when I sold it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 09:15:23 PM »
I don't think that is 843s original intake. I had bead blasted and clear coated the original when I sold it.
It doesn't really matter as long as it is the correct style for the car IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
It doesn't really matter as long as it is the correct style for the car IMO.
True but perfect original beats repaired any day.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Oh ho! The plot thickens. I never knew but thanks for the clarification. Next question. Is it an original intake? If not perhaps I need to go on a search for an original. The hunt is the most fun aspect and then the conquest. I'm up for it.

Richard E.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
Oh ho! The plot thickens. I never knew but thanks for the clarification. Next question. Is it an original intake? If not perhaps I need to go on a search for an original. The hunt is the most fun aspect and then the conquest. I'm up for it.

Richard E.
The picture you show is a original intake(maybe not that exact car) . The point is the intake is what would be expected to be on a car of that model year and SA VIN range. You don't want to get lost down the all original to the car rabbit hole unless you are prepared to come up with original (not repros) to the car - tires ,battery ,alt belt, hoses (heater ,radiator and brake),exhaust yada ,yada ,yada.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Yes Bob you're right. It could get extreme otherwise. I'll get it repaired. The poor little intake has been with me for a good chunk of life. I feel sorry for it. After all the intake survived three marriages and what Cobra intake can lay claim to that fact nevermind the whole car (which 843 did survive and quite well).