News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cleaning refurbishing brushed aluminum door panels dash

Started by 557, May 29, 2020, 01:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My brushed aluminum looks kind of dirty and grungy (after 53 years) also some scratches.What do you guys do to clean/freshen this stuff ?Thanks.

The Going Thing

If you haven't started seeing the white corrosion you can use Mr. Clean magic erasers. They were originally anodized finishes. Aluminum polish or anything with abrasives will damage them. Hopefully it is just greasy old dirt.

Cobrask8

On my 67, I used Scotch Brite pads, being careful to only go with the "grain". Carefull work, but Worked great. I am not sure about using any cleaners or liquids, as the aluminum will discolor, and could end up "splotchy". Possibly just dish soap and water?

Just using the Scotchbrite gave a good, grainy finish. I tried a Brillo pad after, it made it shiny and smooth, so went back and re-grained with the Scotchbrite.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on May 29, 2020, 02:47:20 AM
If you haven't started seeing the white corrosion you can use Mr. Clean magic erasers. They were originally anodized finishes. Aluminum polish or anything with abrasives will damage them. Hopefully it is just greasy old dirt.
+1.  The clear anodized coat prevents most maintenance of appearance. Once oxidation starts underneath the anodized coat you will not be able to make it look like new again by simple means.Hopefully you are not at that point . You can be satisfied with some of the fixes mentioned here if you do not have too high of expectations.  The good news is that currently there are repro replacement panels .  http://www.burtonantiqueautoparts.com/  is the best alternative of the bunch available IMO. They are the closest to original in appearance and mfg.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

the white Scotch Brite is the least abrasive if your just cleaning. if needing to work-out scratches from finger nails and rings or removing the old clear more aggressive materials will have to be used.

I redid the dash pieces on the car I had, just dirt and slight scratch or two and re-cleared them.  The door pieces were too bad and I got the Burton items.  Which I was pleased with, although they were a bit glossy.

At the time Burton offered the early and later forward edge variations, not sure they do any more.  See attached...the early had a straight cut on the lower part of the edge and the later has a rolled edge on the full length.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The Mr. Clean magic eraser was a great tip.Pretty sure I got off some grime that was on there BEFORE I bought the car in 82!!!Worked like a charm,thanks.Of course I had to take the car for a bounce while I "had it out"........ ;D