Author Topic: Identifying a GT 500 powertrain  (Read 4714 times)

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Identifying a GT 500 powertrain
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
+1

Where is the stamp on a 4 spd?

So it’s the rear passenger head that’s stamped? Or block near the head?
On four speed it is typically stamped on the protruding pad near where the main case and tail meet. It is seen from the bottom side.
That would be the case on the 67. On 68 New Jersey cars they are on the left upper ear of the transmission right above where it bolts to the bellhousing
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 12:04:45 PM »
I’m having a hard time orientating myself to the location of the stamp on the block in that last photo. That is on the back of the head?

Also told that early cars did not have VIN stampings. Does anybody know when the VIN stamp began? This car was has 11/29/67on buck tag and door tag says 12/4/67. Should this vehicle have VIN stamps?
As Coralsnake posted all should have vin stamped in 68 . One of the confusing things is that although the vin was stamped on the driver side head in the rear from the factory , that same head if switched to the passenger side during a valve job or engine rebuild will have the vin stamp now show up on the passenger side front. It happens frequently during engine repair as there is typically no regard to the vin orientation (if the vin stamp can even be seen after painting) by most.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 02:15:37 PM »
Where is the stamp on a 4 spd?

So it’s the rear passenger head that’s stamped? Or block near the head?
On four speed it is typically stamped on the protruding pad near where the main case and tail meet. It is seen from the bottom side.
That would be the case on the 67. On 68 New Jersey cars they are on the left upper ear of the transmission right above where it bolts to the bellhousing
+1 .Thanks for the save. I neglected to look at the section and didn't switch gears for 68. :)
No problem. If I had a nickel for everytime I mixed years..... 🙃

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
On some GT500s built in a certain time frame, the partial Vin may be stamped on the back of the intake manifold on the driver side. Pictured is an example along with a transmission stamping from the same car this engine and transmission came out of.
It’s cars built in Feb. not many just some

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »
I’m having a hard time orientating myself to the location of the stamp on the block in that last photo. That is on the back of the head?

Also told that early cars did not have VIN stampings. Does anybody know when the VIN stamp began? This car was has 11/29/67on buck tag and door tag says 12/4/67. Should this vehicle have VIN stamps?
As Coralsnake posted all should have vin stamped in 68 . One of the confusing things is that although the vin was stamped on the driver side head in the rear from the factory , that same head if switched to the passenger side during a valve job or engine rebuild will have the vin stamp now show up on the passenger side front. It happens frequently during engine repair as there is typically no regard to the vin orientation (if the vin stamp can even be seen after painting) by most.

You're so right Bob...
I purchased a 70 GT 500 SCJ awhile back...

I looked for a VIN on the driver's head and there was none.
The date of the block was off too..
I just about gave up....
However, at the last moment I checked the passenger head and there it was...!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »

You're so right Bob...
I purchased a 70 GT 500 SCJ awhile back...

I looked for a VIN on the driver's head and there was none.
The date of the block was off too..
I just about gave up....
However, at the last moment I checked the passenger head and there it was...!

I hope Ed Meyer reads that.  :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gpm6367

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
A lot of information.

So the consensus is all 68s should have VIN stamp even if assembled in late 67? I was told it started in calendar year 68. This car was bucked 11/29/67.

The casting numbers and dates on block and heads are consistent with vehicle assembly. I saw no VIN but given what has been said here I really need to closely examine entire motor.

The trans is not original.

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
That doesn't just go for Shelby's but all Ford Motor Company vehicles. My November 28th 1967 built Torino 4 door has its original Vin stamped 302 and C4 automatic transmission.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
A lot of information.

So the consensus is all 68s should have VIN stamp even if assembled in late 67? I was told it started in calendar year 68. This car was bucked 11/29/67.

The casting numbers and dates on block and heads are consistent with vehicle assembly. I saw no VIN but given what has been said here I really need to closely examine entire motor.

The trans is not original.

At different times I owned #64 and #66...
Neither had VINS but if I remember the dates were perfect on the engine..

And they were built the same day...

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 08:44:47 PM »
     We had a customer with a '69 428CJ engine that had V.I.N. stampings at the rear driver's side of the block, and at the rear of both cylinder heads.  The fonts appeared consistent and the engine was stated and was of a condition consistent with not having been monkeyed with previously; that is with the exception of the "machine shop" that the owner chose to rescue his parts from, but unfortunately only after they had ruined one cylinder head.  Upon assembling the engine, with a replacement reasonable date coded but un V.I.N. stamped cylinder head, I chose to position the the remaining cylinder head with the V.I.N. stamping on the driver's side facing rearward.  The customer received the assembly took it home and was determined to have it on the passenger side facing forward, so much so as he returned the engine and I swapped it so.  I stated that I felt this was inconsistent with the norm, but perhaps at least it would provide evidence to the claims that at least some engine work (at least beyond the Krylon.........I mean Dupli-Color application, sorry!) was performed in the restoration.      ::)

Scott.