Author Topic: 65 GT350 Master Cylinder  (Read 3511 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 GT350 Master Cylinder
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »
Is there a date code on the 65 GT350 Master Cylinder? Believe it is stamped/cast B2225032 on bottom.
Thanks
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: 65 GT350 Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:29 PM »
I thought there was a Julian calendar style with a stamping
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 08:41:43 PM »
Is there a date code on the 65 GT350 Master Cylinder? Believe it is stamped/cast B2225032 on bottom.
Thanks

Look to the bottom of the reservoir on one of the sides for the casting date. Dating pattern/style changed from 65 -66 if I recall correctly

Away from my pictures for the moment  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »
On lower front of master cylinder are two ports. Front most port goes to the M port on the proportioning valve and on to the rear hubs thru the R port and the other port on the bottom, goes to the block that routes fluid to front right and front left calipers. Of the 2 ports on the master cylinder, the front one that goes to the proportioning valve has a much larger passageway for fluid to travel versus the lower port that seems to have a sort of brass restrictor in the cylinder where hard line connects. Is the small brass appearing fitting with the small hole in it correct?
Would think lot more fluid would be pushed to the front port with out any restriction versus the lower port with the much smaller hole for fluid to pass to the front calipers....

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:44 PM »
On lower front of master cylinder are two ports. Front most port goes to the M port on the proportioning valve and on to the rear hubs thru the R port and the other port on the bottom, goes to the block that routes fluid to front right and front left calipers. Of the 2 ports on the master cylinder, the front one that goes to the proportioning valve has a much larger passageway for fluid to travel versus the lower port that seems to have a sort of brass restrictor in the cylinder where hard line connects. Is the small brass appearing fitting with the small hole in it correct?
Would think lot more fluid would be pushed to the front port with out any restriction versus the lower port with the much smaller hole for fluid to pass to the front calipers....
Not sure if this answers your question but for 65 and early 66 both ports onthe Master cylinder have a brass adapter to transition from the pipe thread to flare fitting of the brake lines. After early 66 Bendix changed the port design to directly recieve flair fittings.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
To illustrate the location of the date location on a 65 and early 66 master cylinder using the Julian dating

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 09:51:43 PM »
jeff
I looked at the master cyl and it has same casting number B2225032 with what appears to be "342" where your example has "357".
I think one I am looking at was original to 5S228, but may be mistaken. As Bob indicated, 65 and early 66 both ports on the Master cylinder have a brass adapter to transition from the pipe thread to flare fitting of the brake lines. Master cyl I am looking at does not have the brass adapter fittings. So I am not sure what I am really looking at.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »
...... Master cyl I am looking at does not have the brass adapter fittings. So I am not sure what I am really looking at.

They (the fittings) may have been removed

Check how the bottom of the each hole is machined. Is it flat  - that would indicate that it would require the line to seal while the later would have a beveled back/end surface that would allow the line to seal without an adapter like the example shown below

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
Here are pictures of my master cylinder. Appears one port has a brass internal orifice and the other port doesn't.
Would 5S228 have the brass adapters or not?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
Here are pictures of my master cylinder. Appears one port has a brass internal orifice and the other port doesn't.

Sort of explains why you mentioned that one port had a large hole and the other a much smaller hole

If the master cylinder was original to the car it would have used the adapters.

Would suggest you check the date code on your master cylinder.

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 11:13:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff
If julian date is 3 digit number, how do I determine which year it really is?
I see "342" on one side and I really can't determine what numbers are on other side.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
Thanks Jeff
If julian date is 3 digit number, how do I determine which year it really is?

Don't know if there is a way. Like body panels not everything that got made had a year date originally.

I see "342" on one side and I really can't determine what numbers are on other side.

"342" would be Dec 8th. Don't recall if 1965 was a leap year if not that was the date. 
Since it has the seats,  that IMHO would suggest that its most likely Dec 8th 1965

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 12:44:07 AM »

Should have the adapters.  The design change was sometime either very late in '65 mustang production or early '66.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »
Wonder why this master cylinder has the small internal brass piece in one port and nothing in the other one?
Assume the external adapter has pipe thread on the end that goes in the master cylinder and a flare fitting on the other end?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:00:17 PM by mygt350 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Wonder why this master cylinder has the small internal brass piece in one port and nothing in the other one?
Assume the external adapter has pipe thread on the end that goes in the master cylinder and a flare fitting on the other end?

Believe you will find that the master cylinder was designed so that the beveled fitting port would be inserted into the main body at both ports and the design allowed the seat to be replaced to repair if needed rather than to have the whole master cylinder throw away plus it may have been more difficult to machine the post for the seat and threads both during production.  The other may have been removed for some reason

Think you will find that the beveled seat is missing from one of your lower port and the reason it's much larger with it gone