News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 66 GT350r Long / Extra range Fuel / Gas tank Wanted

Started by Bossbob123, May 31, 2020, 09:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossbob123

Hi Guys, Im looking to purchase or have fabricated a double gas tank with the internal baffles for a 65 66 GT350R.  Any help will be appreciated.
Please contact thru private messaging.

Thank You

Bob B

Shelby_r_b

Hi Bob,

Try Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts and Restoration.  920-434-3645.
Nothing beats a classic!

gt350bp

Might want to consider a custom fuel cell bladder to fit the tank?

Don
gt350bp

Bossbob123

Guys, Thank You For the info.  It is appreciated

If someone does see this and has a tank for sale, let me know.

Bob B

werthie

hi guys . . .   6S929 came to me with a fuel cell, and i'd like to replace it with a stock tank . . .  thoughts about whether to go with the original 16 gallon or the '67 and later 22 gallon?  i like the idea of more fuel capacity, but then there's added weight and the bulge in the trunk.
please advise . . . .
alan in LA

Bob Gaines

Quote from: werthie on May 31, 2020, 08:42:18 PM
hi guys . . .   6S929 came to me with a fuel cell, and i'd like to replace it with a stock tank . . .  thoughts about whether to go with the original 16 gallon or the '67 and later 22 gallon?  i like the idea of more fuel capacity, but then there's added weight and the bulge in the trunk.
please advise . . . .
alan in LA

Actually 65-68 are the same . Unless you are planning a lot of long distance driving I don't think there is a good arguement for the larger capacity non original tank . I did it on mine back in the early 70's but I was driving it daily and driving on long distance trips occasionaly . It doesn't make sense to me now. It is your car so do as you want . You can always switch it back if you are dead set on doing it. I think you regret doing it in the end . You will have to decide if it makes sense to you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The 22 gallon is a 1970 Model year part. 67 is a 16 gallon.

I put the 22 in both my 67 and 68 cars. At one time it helped on long trips BUT on a full tank you have more of a tendency to spill out of the filler on a steep incline.

The extra 6 gallons gives you 100 to 120 more mile range. The added weight is actually a help to the handling of the car since the Mustang tends to be front end biased.

I think on the race cars it was actually a way of cheating. I forget now how the tech people checked the weight of the car? At the time, I don't think they looked at the fuel in the tank?

The race tank is two 16's welded together for 32 gallons. Today there is no point to that since you can run 20 minutes on the track with about 5 gallons.

Those were useful for events like Daytonna, Sebring or Lemans.

So unless you just like the look of the race tank and/or you are going to store fuel in it, there is no sense to it at all.

I think the minimum race weight was 2800 pounds? Some cars needed to have ballast added to them. You can get a Mustang down to about 2700 pounds so playing with fuel in the tank might give you an "unfair advantage" if you work it right.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!