News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67-68 Shelby de Mexico GT350 (hardtop)

Started by Richstang, March 11, 2018, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 09, 2018, 03:56:25 PM
Food for thought - the Shelby ten spokes of the day were made for 1967 cars and not 1968 cars. The period tenspokes do not fit a 68 without thick wheel spacers because of the different single piston brake calipers.The wheels would fit on a 67 Brake caliper which also match's the rear quarters. A 68 fender could be easily switched onto a 67 body otherwise why have the prerequisite marker like in the front fender but not in the rear quarter. At the very least it is not a period photo given the tires that are on the car. Regardless one way or the other there is more to the story .

Good points to raise here Bob. In particular, I was wondering about the brake clearance, since the '67 10-spoke wheels show up on the later 69 Shelby de Mexico models too. I wonder if the Mexican built Mustangs had the larger brake calipers upgrades in '68 and '69 like the US models.

I agree, it's definitely a more recent photo of this lime gold hardtop. The '67 GT350 dash emblem placed on the quarter panel is in the same location where the two holes would be on a later built '68 with a bolt on reflector. Or, the '68 fender was switched. This car could go both ways, thus the question on the model year. Maybe Federico can help resolve the question. 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on April 09, 2018, 05:34:29 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 09, 2018, 03:56:25 PM
Food for thought - the Shelby ten spokes of the day were made for 1967 cars and not 1968 cars. The period tenspokes do not fit a 68 without thick wheel spacers because of the different single piston brake calipers.The wheels would fit on a 67 Brake caliper which also match's the rear quarters. A 68 fender could be easily switched onto a 67 body otherwise why have the prerequisite marker like in the front fender but not in the rear quarter. At the very least it is not a period photo given the tires that are on the car. Regardless one way or the other there is more to the story .

Good points to raise here Bob. In particular, I was wondering about the brake clearance, since the '67 10-spoke wheels show up on the later 69 Shelby de Mexico models too. I wonder if the Mexican built Mustangs had the larger brake calipers upgrades in '68 and '69 like the US models.

I agree, it's definitely a more recent photo of this lime gold hardtop. The '67 GT350 dash emblem placed on the quarter panel is in the same location where the two holes would be on a later built '68 with a bolt on reflector. Or, the '68 fender was switched. This car could go both ways, thus the question on the model year. Maybe Federico can help resolve the question.
Later 68 tenspoke wheels were machined different to create more clearance. With that said some still needed a wheel spacer for them to fit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Federico Garza

Bob and others , I live in Mexico, I will get a full run down on the car from the owner and post all the information that he has.... to be continued.

Tired Sheep

The same Frederico Garza that was posting about the so called "Bullitt" car?

Federico Garza

Quote from: Tired Sheep on April 09, 2018, 10:49:23 PM
The same Frederico Garza that was posting about the so called "Bullitt" car?

Same one (Federico not Frederico).... real deal bullit stunt car  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Coralsnake

Federico Garza

Heres more pics of the car:

Invoice for the car:

And for the shelby parts:

Richstang

Thank you Federico!
8)

The documents and photos are much appreciated. If there's more, please keep posting them.

I'll have to use Google to translate the documents, but I do understand some of it. We now know it is a 1968 model year and the interior photos with the wood grain dash inserts support that. It's interesting to see '67 emblems on a '68 car. I still wonder how much is original and how much was changed during the restoration.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

It also strange to see 14 inch 66 tenspoke wheels on a 68  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Federico Garza

Quote from: Richstang on April 10, 2018, 12:06:43 PM
Thank you Federico!
8)

The documents and photos are much appreciated. If there's more, please keep posting them.

I'll have to use Google to translate the documents, but I do understand some of it. We now know it is a 1968 model year and the interior photos with the wood grain dash inserts support that. It's interesting to see '67 emblems on a '68 car. I still wonder how much is original and how much was changed during the restoration.

Your welcome, car was bought in 1968,  the current owner is the 2nd owner, and its been on the road since new, not restored, just your regular used car mainteneance and paint job...  I will gladly ask if he has changed something so he can point it out...

Federico Garza

Richstang, translation for the parts invoice:

Fiberglass trunk lid with spoiler
Fiberglass hood
Hood locks
Long range headlights (im guessing these are the goofy looking foglights)
GT grill emblem
Rear stop lights
Fuel cap
Side scoops
Ail filter chrome cobra
Cobra valve covers
Shelby wood shift knob
Shelby steering wheel
Emblmes GT 2 rear, 2 side , 1 interior
GT350 side stripes painted installed on new car

Federico Garza

Car invoice:
Seat belts
Center console
Side view mirror
Windshield washers
2 spd wipers
5 tires
Hazzard lights
reverse lights
AM radio and antena
Dash pad and sun visors (cushioned)
Hand tools
Bumper accesories

FL SAAC

Bienvenido Don Federico
gracias por esta nueva informacion
un fuerte abrazo

Quote from: Federico Garza on April 10, 2018, 02:58:22 PM
Quote from: Richstang
/quote]

Your welcome, car was bought in 1968,  the current owner is the 2nd owner, and its been on the road since new, not restored, just your regular used car mainteneance and paint job...  I will gladly ask if he has changed something so he can point it out...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Federico Garza

A la orden Tony, saludos desde mexicali BC Mexico....