Author Topic: 66 Water Pump Tubes  (Read 1469 times)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
66 Water Pump Tubes
« on: June 03, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »
Anyone have a DIY method to replace the heater hose tubes on cast iron water pumps? Or is this strictly a machine shop thing?

Mostly concerned about the shorter tube pictured since it does not get wider at the top and assume it would be more prone to the hose working free or leaking.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 66 Water Pump Tubes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Anyone have a DIY method to replace the heater hose tubes on cast iron water pumps? Or is this strictly a machine shop thing?

Mostly concerned about the shorter tube pictured since it does not get wider at the top and assume it would be more prone to the hose working free or leaking.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,I wouldn't worry about that happening even if you did nothing . Given it is the bypass hose ,where is it going to go? Just make sure the clamp is tight like normal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
Thanks Bob! Was wondering about too that since the bypass hose is bent 90^ and should be resistant to moving...
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
Thanks Bob! Was wondering about too that since the bypass hose is bent 90^ and should be resistant to moving...
Yep. I wouldn't stress over it. Just make sure it is tight as normal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:53:20 PM »
They are actually easy to remove.  If you clamp the pump on a vise and heat the tube with a torch it will come right out.  Clean it up and put some sealer on it when you put a new one in and your done. 

The pump on my 66 was cracked, I welded it and changed the tubes and it works great. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:44:11 PM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »
Actually some of these are stuck really, really well. And if they are stuck that well you can end up collapsing the tube and shearing it off at the top as you try to remove it. Then you are really screwed.

The best way I've found is to find a bolt or round steel piece that fits very snugly in the tube. Heat the cast iron with a propane/mapp torch and if you are lucky you don't have to break out the oxy/acy torch and really heat up the area around the tube.

Grab the tube with round jaw vice grips and they usually twist out. If you have to get pump really hot with the oxy/acy torch you may have damaged your bearings/seals. Then you wish you had just paid a rebuilder to do all of this for you.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx