Author Topic: Exhaust system detail  (Read 3909 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Exhaust system detail
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
During my research of exhaust systems on 65's I ran across this picture.  I have seen a number of cars restored to top level with fully painted black exhaust systems and in this picture it clearly shows that the headers and mufflers were black but the tail pipes were steel.  I also notice that the pony emblem in the grill isn't there in this picture but restored ones now have them, I can't imagine Ford leaving them off or SAI taking them off so what happened?

Thanks for the education!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust system detail
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
Keep in mind that photos like this were typically staged.  SA installed the running horse emblem in the grille, it wasn't ordered from Ford that way.  Only the first 3 cars came with fender emblems, so the LH running horse would have been an additional item acquired from Ford parts.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »
Keep in mind that photos like this were typically staged.  SA installed the running horse emblem in the grille, it wasn't ordered from Ford that way.  Only the first 3 cars came with fender emblems, so the LH running horse would have been an additional item acquired from Ford parts.

Thanks Charles for the education!  I can't imagine them painting the tail pipes black after the fact, did they?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »

Thanks Charles for the education!  I can't imagine them painting the tail pipes black after the fact, did they?
For 1966 SA did not have to fool with the intermediate pipe or tailpipes. I have not seen evidence of 65 or 66 duel non GT tips painted black from the factory or SA.The didn't stick out and were out of sight out of mind for the most part. The 65 side pipe ends I believe came both ways. Of course I think black painted side pipes would be preferred given rusted ends would be in your face every time you got in the car. Whether or not the ends were square cut or angle cut ,early late thing etc. is another loaded question/subject.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »

For 1966 SA did not have to fool with the intermediate pipe or tailpipes. I have not seen evidence of 65 or 66 duel non GT tips painted black from the factory or SA.The didn't stick out and were out of sight out of mind for the most part. The 65 side pipe ends I believe came both ways. Of course I think black painted side pipes would be preferred given rusted ends would be in your face every time you got in the car. Whether or not the ends were square cut or angle cut ,early late thing etc. is another loaded question/subject.

Bob, thank you and that leads me into my next question square vs. angle.  I have also seen them both ways and common sense would tell me that the pipe was straight as SA wasn't necessarily concerned with cosmetics as much as performance.  I know there has to be a common "acceptance" among the Shelby community.  So from a judge perspective, if the entire exhaust was black and the tail pipe end cut straight would be acceptable in a concours class?  Thanks again.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:25:46 AM »

Bob, thank you and that leads me into my next question square vs. angle.  I have also seen them both ways and common sense would tell me that the pipe was straight as SA wasn't necessarily concerned with cosmetics as much as performance.  I know there has to be a common "acceptance" among the Shelby community.  So from a judge perspective, if the entire exhaust was black and the tail pipe end cut straight would be acceptable in a concours class?  Thanks again.
I would find a vintage picture (there are many different vintage magizine shots) to support the way you do it so that if the issue comes up at a concours venue you have proveneince for what you did.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:11:43 PM »
when i got my first 65  back when they were 2 grand  i started looking at crs that were original  like at the first Dearborn convention  and the one at Mickey Rooneys motel in PA.  that was many years ago . what Im gettingat is the side pipes.  on original cars ivenever seen  any sustems other tha black. Like Bob said,  having a rusty outlet pipe wouldnt look good  I bought an original owner car  in the 80s Elderley Ldy) that had never been back to the dealership and it was black as well. car was always serviced by her maintenance man at her estate.  Her husband had an AM  DB5.   i have seen pics of the side pipes angle cut but most Ive seen had straight cut so  we will accept either at SAAC Concours judging
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »
when i got my first 65  back when they were 2 grand  i started looking at crs that were original  like at the first Dearborn convention  and the one at Mickey Rooneys motel in PA.  that was many years ago . what Im gettingat is the side pipes.  on original cars ivenever seen  any sustems other tha black. Like Bob said,  having a rusty outlet pipe wouldnt look good  I bought an original owner car  in the 80s Elderley Ldy) that had never been back to the dealership and it was black as well. car was always serviced by her maintenance man at her estate.  Her husband had an AM  DB5.   i have seen pics of the side pipes angle cut but most Ive seen had straight cut so  we will accept either at SAAC Concours judging

Thank you Jim, I sincerely appreciate the response!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
I would find a vintage picture (there are many different vintage magizine shots) to support the way you do it so that if the issue comes up at a concours venue you have proveneince for what you did.
If they came both ways from the factory the magazine article would only be accurate for that car. I doubt SA painted anything in the exhaust. Headers would have come painted from the mfg as would mufflers. The rest of the exhaust was probably made out of steel with an aluminized coating and wouldn't rust for several years. Pretty sure the 66 cars came with the standard hi-po dual exhaust and SA just cut at the right spot and welded on the collector flange to connect to the newly installed headers.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 12:37:13 AM »
If they came both ways from the factory the magazine article would only be accurate for that car. I doubt SA painted anything in the exhaust. Headers would have come painted from the mfg as would mufflers. The rest of the exhaust was probably made out of steel with an aluminized coating and wouldn't rust for several years. Pretty sure the 66 cars came with the standard hi-po dual exhaust and SA just cut at the right spot and welded on the collector flange to connect to the newly installed headers.
We were not discussing the headers on 65 or 66 however it is universally accepted that they were painted. As far as the 65 exhaust pipes there are historical photos showing the entire exhaust system painted . There are numerous first hand accounts of the same .With that said there is also evidence for unpainted also and first hand accounts of same . Hence they came both ways. With that reality and until more definitive documentation on if random or early late issue etc. is discovered SAAC , MCA and Mid America Shelby allow both. My suggestion for having the vintage picture documentation on hand was more for the "know it all arm chair expert " that might dispute how it was done. There was NO aluminiumized coating on 65 exhaust components. so that you can be better informed in regards to your statement of " Pretty sure the 66 cars came with the standard hi-po dual exhaust and SA just cut at the right spot and welded on the collector flange to connect to the newly installed headers."SA didn't cut anything on the Ford system. SA did not weld collector flange to Ford intermediate pipes. SA replaced the hipo H pipe with their own special made H pipe which made the transition from SA exhaust to Ford duel exhaust (not hipo specific) intermediate pipes. hope this helps.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
BTW   I make the complet 65 exhaust system ,   I have the headers metal ceramic coated  satin black .    the rest of the system  I leave bare metal as they have to be fit to the car and welded at thefront flange.  thats really the only way you can get them level  and parallel.  especially since there are so many  brands of headers made and they are all different except mine which are made in a solid fixture
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »
BTW   I make the complet 65 exhaust system ,   I have the headers metal ceramic coated  satin black .    the rest of the system  I leave bare metal as they have to be fit to the car and welded at thefront flange.  thats really the only way you can get them level  and parallel.  especially since there are so many  brands of headers made and they are all different except mine which are made in a solid fixture
+1 .Used them on a number of occasions ether on my own or helping others. I would highly recommend.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
Seem strait cut in this period pic.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »
Seem strait cut in this period pic.
Notice the unusual exhaust hanger tabs.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
Whether or not the ends were square cut or angle cut ,early late thing etc. is another loaded question/subject.

For consideration for those who might care:  one of the useful values of the tail pipe section, that is after the muffler within the direction of the exhausts' intended major flow direction, other than just to route the exhaust fume from under the chassis is to provide a scavenging effect upon the muffler improving flow efficiency within.  This being accomplished due to the reflection or reversion value acquired at the pipes' presentation to atmosphere, this being most effective with the pipe terminating squarely, cutting the pipe at an angle tends to dampen this effect.                ;)

O.K., I know.............who cares?                  :-[

Scott.