Author Topic: By-pass hose  (Read 2189 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
By-pass hose
« on: June 03, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »
Are the bypass hose and clamps supposed to be painted or natural?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: By-pass hose
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
Painted with the completed engine at the Ford engine plant

It is not unusual to see the paint damaged, cracked or falling off in areas. They were in place on the engine (with the cast iron Mustang style intake) when it was painted and stayed with the engine when the intake was swapped out for the aluminum

Same subject 65 & 67 years  :)

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=10247.msg86258#msg86258

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2347.msg20132#msg20132
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:17:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 09:27:24 PM »
Thank you

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »
It is important to note that the bypass hose and clamps were installed at the Cleveland plant and for whatever reason were different then the ones installed on heater hoses at the assemblyline plant. The Cleveland clamps (see what I did there ;) ) are similar in appearance . They are a 1 1/16 Whittek tower clamp .The main difference in appearance has to do with a narrower band then a typical heater hose and the thread size of the screw drive is a smaller size although the hex head is the same 3/8 size. It is a assemblyline nuance. It is something that stands out to me only because I have compared so many now and it is one of the first things I look for given 99.9% of the time they are replaced wrong. They are hard to find . I think B9 uses them on the smog pump and also on GM applications.Very small few enthusiasts would know the difference between the correct assemblyline ones and the typical heater hose tower clamp . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
Can someone please post a photo of the correct clamp as Mr. Gaines explains it.

Thanks. All the best, Steve
SFM 6S406

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
Bob,

This is great information and thank you for sharing the fine details.  Are there any suppliers out there that currently sell the clamp?

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
Here are a few pics of old examples of the 1-1/16-inch 1/2-inch and 7/16-inch wide clamps side by side.  The narrower one has a "2" under the saddle while the wider one has  a"10".  No one currently makes the narrower one.  There's not enough demand.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:01:54 AM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Here are a few pics of old examples of the 1-1/16-inch 1/2-inch and 7/16-inch wide clamps side by side.  The narrower one has a "2" under the saddle while the wider one has  a"10".  No one currently makes the narrower one.  There's not enough demand.

Thanks, Stan!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »
I believe the ones sold through Virginia Classic Mustang are in fact the thinner correct version.  Please see below:

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-73-BAND-CLAMP-FOR-HEATERBYPASS-HOSE-466-DATE-P3683.aspx
Nothing beats a classic!

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
Boss 429 smog pump clamps are different but 429s used the thinner #2 bypass hose clamps that are hard to find and I been collecting them for last 30 years finding them on gm smog hoses  etc.  The bypass hoses also are different depending on engine and plant some  have ribs and some don't. We were selling the #2 thin bypass hose clamps on ebay but not many sales as people didn't want to change them out once engine was already painted and installed and u have to put the (ole hawyeye) on the clamps to notice the difference.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
I believe the ones sold through Virginia Classic Mustang are in fact the thinner correct version.  Please see below:

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-73-BAND-CLAMP-FOR-HEATERBYPASS-HOSE-466-DATE-P3683.aspx
It would have been great for all of us if you were correct but you are mistaken. There are physical differences of the thread size and admittedly it is hard to tell from this single picture with no other frame of size reference but you can see in the picture the edge of the upside down "10" inside the band. I am holding both in my hand as I post this. That "10" designates the typical heater hose clamp. The assemblyline clamp has a "2" . It is 1 1/16 so it can be used on the bypass hose also as a substitute for the assemblyline clamp.  The substitute is what everybody uses. I would not order it thinking it is the assemblyline Cleveland clamp otherwise you will be disappointed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
Welp, not the first time I was wrong about something.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
Welp, not the first time I was wrong about something.  ;)
Join the club. ;)