Author Topic: Real story behind 2020 Corvette that fell off the lift  (Read 2030 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Real story behind 2020 Corvette that fell off the lift
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
Wow. Simply...wow.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »

I get the impression the arms probably were in the correct place, it's just that the arms themselves were not locked in and they shifted when the car was raised. In any case the owner gets a new car and the responsible employee gets "walking papers".

The other instance of stupidity I can recall occurred when two Ferrari employees took a customer car for a "test drive" and totaled it.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 05:36:35 PM »
Simple balancing act - the heavy end dropped. It's a dealer problem. They should have him in a loaner and have an exact duplicate replacement on order already. Pretty sure all they are legally required to do is repair it. Maybe he needs to turn a claim into his own insurance and get them to total it. Him talking to Chevrolet and/or demanding a Z06 is BS and not their problem.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
Big Oooopps

~E

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
Chevrolet could be vicariously liable for the errors of the dealership but I would prefer to pursue the dealership individually.  Don't know about the Z06 as I don't think that was a Z06 but I am no Corvette expert.  He gets like kind and quality.  Not better than what he had.  The color is right.  The faster option would be to run it through his own insurance as you suggested, total it out and buy another one and let his insurance company subrogate against the insurance carrier for the dealership.  Invariably, I would not accept a repair.  That would be a no starter for me.  I'd just file suit and nail them for accelerated depreciation. (If that cause of action is allowed there in that State.)
As an aside, if I were to own a newer Corvette, I would opt for a 2019 ZR1 instead of the 2020 mid-engine.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:51:22 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:07 AM »

Seeing this accident only reinforces my appreciation for my four post ramp lift. I have two sets of trolley jacks when I need all four wheels off the lift and I use it for front/rear engined cars with no issues.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
I used to work on the C3 Corvettes when I used to turn wrenches for a living and were learned real fast to NOT pull the Vettes all the in on the Lift.  We had to put the Front Lift Arms under the Lower A Frames and the Rear Arms went as far back as possible.  Since the C3's were Front Heavy that's how it was raised or you cracked the Windshield as soon as the Front Tires left that ground.  My guess, that is what happened here, not thinking any different when it came to the Lift Set Up.

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »
Yep it was probably racked improperly (considering where the engine/weight is), then when the front wheels were removed it flipped off of the arms backwards. Should also probably have used a screw type jack in the rear.  (over 30 years in the lift business, I have seen some crazy stuff out there!)

Mikelj5S230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »
Pretty ugly, but if he can wait long enough, the Z06 will be much more powerful.  I'm waiting on that myself, I will probably trade my '15 Porsche 911 Turbo S in on it.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 08:19:11 PM »
This happened at the dealership that has all the factory information on how to handle these cars.   Hmmmm.  Some service department employees who did not check the information on jacking up the car must be looking for work elsewhere.

Would you take your car to these guys ever again?  I guess it depends on how they handle the replacement and  the issues with the service department.  8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
Simply tragic but the good thing  is that it's just a disposable car and can be replaced by another.  Between the insurance and dealership will make the owner whole.

Areverderci
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »
Likely  improperly racked but / I have seen cables snap on lifts / doubt gm will do much   / ford would place dealer in the fire say its your problem fix it ! 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .