Author Topic: KR steering column rebuilder  (Read 1307 times)

waltweems

• View Profile
KR steering column rebuilder
« on: June 04, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
My steering column shakes when I pass over a small bump in the road and I am looking for a quality
shop to rebuild the column.

I have done all the easy stuff like new wheels & radial tires, balancing & alignment, balanced drive shaft, rebuilt steering box, new front springs and I'm out of ideas.  I have owned the car for over 20 years and have taken it to two shops, one a shelby restorer but without a solution.

Thanks.

Walt Weems

Krelboyne

• View Profile
Re: KR steering column rebuilder
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »
Is that a tilt / tilt away column? We are sending folks to Tony Augustine  816-210-4779
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
Well, you could have your steering column rebuilt but I’m going to guess that likely is not the issue. The only thing in it that could possibly cause it would be the upper bearing would have to be completely worn out to the point of slop. Generally speaking a vibration that is caused from hitting a bump accelerate something that has played in it. I know you said you had your steering box done, I have been re-checked to make sure it was done properly? Beyond that check the common items for plays such as idler arm any of the tire rod ends as well as ball joints. Lastly, how is your power steering? If a ram has too much slop in it it also can allow a lot to move around in the front end

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
if the wheel moves around with  car off  the upper bearings are bad ...... they    were the same as thunderbird bearings ..... not sure if they are available  from vendors   might be able to find them from a bearing supplier. 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .