News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Seeing "Lounge" activity in "Recently Updated Topics"

Started by computerworks, June 05, 2020, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerworks

There has been some ...uhh.. "spirited" discussion lately about the perceived "intrusion" of Lounge posts in the overall stream of the Forum.

I have always maintained that an Off-Topic area, like the Lounge, is a necessary component of any community Forum... since it allows us to show our "human" side and discuss non-car related stuff. Sometimes, it appears that showing that side is not so good... but nevertheless, I feel it's necessary.

To those that complain, I always respond that if the Lounge bothers you, then don't read it....simple solution.

To help the cause... I have MODIFIED the software to NO LONGER show any Lounge posts in the Recently Updated Topics list at the bottom of the Home page.
This will reduce the perceived clutter.

So.. now, if you want to see what's new in the Lounge... you have to go visit that sub-forum. No other changes have been made to that sub-forum.

...always looking to improve your user experience.  8)

shelbydoug

I can't even find the Lounge now? I guess that helps a bit?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

computerworks

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 05, 2020, 10:25:11 AM
I can't even find the Lounge now? I guess that helps a bit?

Bottom of the home page in the "Off Topic Area"

FL SAAC

I like that you are progressive and open minded.

Thank you for improving our quality of life.

Quote from: computerworks on June 05, 2020, 10:12:52 AM
There has been some ...uhh.. "spirited" discussion lately about the perceived "intrusion" of Lounge posts in the overall stream of the Forum.

I have always maintained that an Off-Topic area, like the Lounge, is a necessary component of any community Forum... since it allows us to show our "human" side and discuss non-car related stuff. Sometimes, it appears that showing that side is not so good... but nevertheless, I feel it's necessary.

To those that complain, I always respond that if the Lounge bothers you, then don't read it....simple solution.

To help the cause... I have MODIFIED the software to NO LONGER show any Lounge posts in the Recently Updated Topics list at the bottom of the Home page.
This will reduce the perceived clutter.

So.. now, if you want to see what's new in the Lounge... you have to go visit that sub-forum. No other changes have been made to that sub-forum.

...always looking to improve your user experience.  8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Great solution. If the same off topic reply's or even new odd ball threads start to migrate to other non lounge area's now I would think that the troll's dishonorable intent and agenda will be clear to all. At least hopefully clear to all . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Wonderful changes- Now if someone wants to become miserable, they have to go looking for things to feed their miserable thoughts. Nice thing is, they can be watched to see if they are peeking in those areas.

Chris Thauberger

I predict the alleged trolls will move out of the lounge and back to other sub forums so their post continue to show up in the scroll at the bottom.

As a sidenote, only a troll would react negatively to my above comment.  ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

TransamEd

Thank you, great improvement in the perception...especially for the landing page ... ideal would be also "snooze" filters under personal settings like in FB 8)

Coralsnake

I think its a positive step forward. I am hoping for the best.

gt350hr

Thanks Ron !
       Great move. Maybe you could do that with the regions too. What goes on in Pa , NY , SD etc is important to the respective region but not to WA , OR , CA , AZ as we are too far away. Focus on the cars is what made this site THE place to go for information.
     Rebuild the strength by going back to basics and leave the Martha Stewart cake stuff to the region or lounge areas.This is STILL the best site for REAL hardcore statistics , help , and information from THE most knowledgeable guys around. We can't afford to run them off because of some lounge lizards. ( no offense intended we all have our place)
          Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

computerworks

Quote from: TransamEd on June 05, 2020, 11:06:29 AM
Thank you, great improvement in the perception...especially for the landing page ... ideal would be also "snooze" filters under personal settings like in FB 8)

You already have some good control over that.....

If you go to ---> Profile - Account Settings - Modify Profile - Ignore Board Options... you can block seeing any total sub-forum

Also in there... There is also a Buddies/Ignore List that lets you block seeing any user's posts

Yours for the asking... :-)

computerworks

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 05, 2020, 11:01:23 AM
Great solution. If the same off topic reply's or even new odd ball threads start to migrate to other non lounge area's now I would think that the troll's dishonorable intent and agenda will be clear to all. At least hopefully clear to all .

Should that occur... be sure to report the post in question to a Moderator for disposition

computerworks

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on June 05, 2020, 11:03:49 AM
I predict the alleged trolls will move out of the lounge and back to other sub forums so their post continue to show up in the scroll at the bottom.

Should that occur... be sure to report the post in question to a Moderator for disposition

computerworks

Quote from: gt350hr on June 05, 2020, 11:26:13 AM
   Thanks Ron !
       Great move. Maybe you could do that with the regions too. What goes on in Pa , NY , SD etc is important to the respective region but not to WA , OR , CA , AZ as we are too far away.

Thanks for the positive feedback, Randy

It would be harsh to block ALL Region activity from the front page... but (as mentioned earlier) if one wants to "block" those distant sub-forums... they may personally do it...

If you go to ---> Profile - Account Settings - Modify Profile - Ignore Board Options... you can block seeing any total sub-forum

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!