Author Topic: Best SB plug wire  (Read 8625 times)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best SB plug wire
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
As I was mentioning earlier. Before I changed carbs I didn’t have any of this going on. So I’m thinking I’ve isolated down to the carb, carb gasket(s) and/or spacer. Before mounting the carb I meticulously cleaned all mating surfaces before installing gaskets. Actually the last time about an hour ago, I went back, and in sequence, corner to corner, snugged the carb up a little more.

I will pull carb back off and visually inspect gaskets and especially the spacer for any kind of Discrepancy. I’m assuming it’s going to be gaskets and/or spacer.

I do have the Autolite carb I may put on if all else fails to possibly rule out the Holley carb

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
More speculating, but if you happen to have this style spacer under your carb, be aware you must use an application specific gasket between the manifold and spacer. A generic parts store 2-barrel Holley/Autolite/Motorcraft pattern gasket used here will cause a vacuum leak.

Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »
More speculating, but if you happen to have this style spacer under your carb, be aware you must use an application specific gasket between the manifold and spacer. A generic parts store 2-barrel Holley/Autolite/Motorcraft pattern gasket used here will cause a vacuum leak.

That's the spacer I've used for many years with any of my carbs including the last Holley carb and also including an old 2V Autolite before the current Holley and had zero problems.  Using, if my memory serves me correct, was either a Holley or a felpro gasket bought at a chain auto parts store.

The current Holley is the one I'm having trouble with with what appears to be a vacuum leak.

cj750, let me in on what gasket you would recommend between the manifold and the spacer AND the gasket between the carb and the spacer. 

Is the spacer you show the one with the bottom that is hollow like, sort of 2-3 cavities with very small gaps between each cavity?

Guys, thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.
Rich
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:11:17 PM by 69mach351w »

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
Here’s the one like I have on my 289 2V.

Notice the openings circled in red. Always wondered why so many gaps. Would these gaps be contributing to a vacuum leak?

As mentioned, cj750 or anyone, if you could let me know a certain gasket for this spacer between carb and spacer and carb and manifold, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Rich
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:23:25 PM by 69mach351w »

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »
I found the spacer on ebay with the photo you used.

My spacer has more of the gaps on the cavity bottom than the one you have pictured.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-2-Barrel-2100-Carburetor-Spacer-Original-260-292-1962-1963-1964-Fairlane/324188398615?epid=2308736958&hash=item4b7b226417:g:m38AAOSwJkFdveER
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:28:12 PM by 69mach351w »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
When all else fails go back to rule number 1... The spray test, it doesn't lie. Find it and the rest will be easy. Make sure you have enough to check things thoroughly you might even want to use the rest of the WD 40 for your door hinges, clean pine sap and bird doo doo off your paint. I feel you are very close. Good Luck.

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »
You need this style gasket, with the little tab in back. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c3az-9447-b.html
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
When all else fails go back to rule number 1... The spray test, it doesn't lie. Find it and the rest will be easy. Make sure you have enough to check things thoroughly you might even want to use the rest of the WD 40 for your door hinges, clean pine sap and bird doo doo off your paint. I feel you are very close. Good Luck.
I used the WD40 and carb cleaner and did find a leak on the LS as mentioned earlier.  Just curious if the spacer may be troublesome.

cj750 was just saying I needed a different gasket(s).

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
You need this style gasket, with the little tab in back. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c3az-9447-b.html
I'm wondering if I can get that gasket locally with a part number. like one at WCCC.  I'm sure that there's other places that sells this same exact gasket.

Thanks
Rich

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »
Yes, your local parts place should have it.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2020, 08:48:00 PM »
Take your spacer to your local parts house, get a pair of gaskets for top and bottom of item and make sure it fits it correctly. All sealing surfaces should be covered and flat, clean. This will take care of you problem. I have not slept in the past 2 weeks wondering why a vacuum leak was so troublesome? :-\ This should get you on your way to motoring down the road.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2020, 08:50:40 PM »
427, I have degenerative muscle issues and the Doc gave me some good meds to help me sleep.  You ought to get up with good ol' Doc and get you some. ;D

Guys thanks and will be in touch here.

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
Sorry to poke fun I didn't know. Good Luck

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
To cj750:  just ordered 4 from advance auto with exact PN while ago and got my 20% discount to boot😁

To 427heaven: you didn’t poke fun. Just saying get you some good meds to rest😎