News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Best SB plug wire

Started by 69mach351w, June 05, 2020, 02:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

If you have hoses coming off of the carburetor and intake spray them all the way to the very end to see if there's a leak that's remote from the carburetor.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

69mach351w

Thanks TA.
I did that and didn't find any leaks. Only on the LS carb between the spacer and manifold. I used WD40
And didn't get anything.  Then I used carb cleaner and found the leak on LS of carb.

Going to try new gaskets again and check for any leaks.

Thanks All
Rich

427, hope you got a good nights Sleep  💤  ;D

shelbydoug

To me, in reviewing everything that's been written, the issue all points to the carburetor.

The simplest test would be to substitute for it and see if the problem goes away.

My own personal experience with Holleys is that today they are much more subject to power valve failure.

I test every pv and something like 50% are bad right out of the packaging.

Considering who rebuilt your carb I find that surprising but unless a pv check valve kit was installed in it, IF there was a backfire at initial start up, it still could be blown out.

The check valve only reduces failures. It doesn't completely eliminate them.

Switch carbs. See if the problems go away.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w

I did have the leak on the drivers side between the carb and spacer.

But I did find the following at bottom between spacer, gasket and manifold. A Gas soaked Gasket. And on the spacer, a discrepancy on the passenger side port (see red arrows).
I have no idea where the red came from on the soaked gasket, must've somehow bled through? Beats me. The top felpro gasket is dry, but that's where my leak was!!

Just going to get a new or good used spacer on eBay. And I already bought 4 new felpro gaskets like the ones cj750 showed me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Holley carb, so I'm going to continue using it.

69mach351w

Top felpro gasket not soaked. But where the leak was🤨

cj750

Spacer is fine.
Put it back together with the Felpro gasket between the manifold and spacer, and the other gasket between spacer and carb. Leak will be solved.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

69mach351w

Meticulously cleaned all mating surfaces, put the said gaskets on and re-timed the motor, set idle speed
run through and rechecked everything.

Man, she purrs like a kitten!!

No missing, no vac leaks!!

Got Ol' Dot-Com back on the road.

427heaven

Ok how many valves were out of adjustment? Any, or was it all the leaking situation. Glad its back to purring down the road. ;)

69mach351w

It's hard to believe that an area super small to the naked eye can cause a motor to run absolutely terrible with a vacuum leak. I did adjust the valves but really they were in good shape. I just wanted to mark that off my list.

Thanks all and I know if my Dad-in-Law was still here, he would be Thanking You Guys also👍🏻😎

He Loved Ol' DOT-COM😊