Author Topic: Starter Motor, How do I tell an original one?  (Read 2608 times)

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Starter Motor, How do I tell an original one?
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »
The ink stamp is long gone, if there ever was one, and I don't know if it's the original starter for the car or a replacement. So.........is there a FOMOCO stamping, or some identifying marks somewhere on the starter that I can look for, to determine if its an original one or not? Thanks, Denny

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Motor, How do I tell an original one?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
The ink stamp is long gone, if there ever was one, and I don't know if it's the original starter for the car or a replacement. So.........is there a FOMOCO stamping, or some identifying marks somewhere on the starter that I can look for, to determine if its an original one or not? Thanks, Denny
A recent thread http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=965.0 shows pictures of typical auto vs 4 speed vintage starters .  The ones in the pictures are not detailed as they would be when installed at Ford. They are just pictured to show the basic difference as explained.  The nose cone after 1970 had reinforcement ribs added for strength. The assemblyline does not have the extra ribs and are smooth like in the pictures from the other thread. They will both have C5 engineering numbers in the nose cone casting seen from the bendix side. The 65-67 case would have a ink stamp for identification. The case didn't start having metal stamped identification letters and numbers until later in 1967 production. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
+1 Perfect information.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »
Very nicely presented.

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
Bob, Once again thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding these 50+ year old machines. You can clearly see the difference in the automatic and four speed versions with your photos. I'll look for the C5 engineering number next. Denny

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »
  Rubber stamp , silver paint.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
  Rubber stamp , silver paint.

+1 Most of the time - long gone or at least partially gone.

Don't use the stickers ::)  or stamps that are not complete if your restoring the car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge